Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Hog lures other than feed!

4K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  VinceA 
#1 ·
High fellas , I am wandering if any thing has worked to lure in Mr. porker for any of you folks other than a pile of corn, other than feed that has to be placed in advance and maintained . I have called in a few boars with an old modified deer grunt call in years past but the success rate is pretty low . I am interested in lures that tickle the nose . Often my hunts are on short notice and I am hunting from a climbing stand where ever the sign may be and that often means hunting near beading areas during the daylight. I am looking for something that will get them to get curious , hungry or horny and come a looking!

#2 ·
Pigs have an insane sense of smell. Anything which smells appetizing, and with a favorable wind, will draw them in.

Hogs are used to locate truffles (a kind of underground mushroom), and they are able to locate them as deep as 3 ft underground (according to wikipedia).

I've never tried it, but I'm sure hogs would come running to corn sour mash (way more smell than simple cracked or whole kernel corn). Here's a simple recipe for it: https://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/14266917-how-to-make-sour-mash

#3 ·
as fas a a hormonal scent lure that might be an instant lure if you can find a source for such, as far as placed in advance and maintained I'm guessing you want to get rid of em right now, but if you got a stand, you might want to think about planting giant turnips in sight of your stand and they will go back to that spot supposedly. turnips don't need to be maintained,

#6 ·
I guess I am looking for somthing i could deploy on the fly. I once herd that anise oil would spike their curiosity. I have seen it in bear lure. I may be a month between hunts or even getting to the woods in the off season. Also any thoughts on calls and estrus lures?

#7 ·
It only takes a week or 10 days to make a 5 gallon bucket of sour mash. As long as you have a week or 2 advance notice, that's the route I'd take. If I had a regular place to hunt hogs, I'd at least experiment with sour mash.

There is no estrus season for sows, so I'm not sure how a scent for that might work. They can mate up to 3x/year, but usually 2x/year - they can throw a litter of piglets every 5 months, with typical gestation of 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days.

#10 ·
Dump out a jar of peanut butter and smear it around. It has a potent and attractive scent. If they can smell it, they'll come in.

Also vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, anise flavorings from the grocery store. The black strap molasses is also a good idea.

Disclaimer: I've never tried these, but they otta' work.

You might want to have some sort of feed down to let more come in to keep them around for a few minutes.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the great responces , i guess what i am looking for is a lure that is effective that i can carry in my pack and deployed as wind and set up allow! any experiences with this type of lure is appreciated .I will not be hunting on or near established feed sights or permanent stands sights.

Reactions: Golphin
#15 ·
Hmm... What if you bottled up some mash in eight or ten ounce containers, and use a strong cordless drill fitted with a bulb auger to make digging holes fast and easy. You could fit it all in a backpack with room to spare.

Reactions: leadfeather
#16 ·
I like the idea of mash or at least the juice from the mash . I typically slip till I find really fresh hog sign and follow tracks till I hit the really thick stuff then chances are good I'm close to bedded hogs and that is where I would like to deploy something to arouse there curiosity.

#19 ·
Depends on the hogs you're tryin' to attract, but I've heard the 'Rosie' hogs like Twinkies and Bonbons! :biggrin:

#20 ·
Tar.

Here in France you can buy tar in 5l cans to smear on trees. Hogs love the stuff. They come and rub themselves on it to get rid of parasites. That is also why they prefer pine trees to rub themselves on. Buy some and paint onto a tree and renew regularly. If you can combine this with a feed point I would say you are not way of a porker.

Cheers

#22 ·
Well I am still looking for a lure other than feed . I have been experimenting with mineral blocks . This critter showed only a few days after placing it . It is a 50lb block.

Attachments

Reactions: marlinluvr
#24 ·
Apple or berry jello, here in VA (talking bears) baiting is illegal, but really cannot see warden finding sprinkled dry jello in the leaves. Is cheap and should attract hogs, especially if a few real apples were scattered around.

#25 ·
If you have oaks get the acorns,the hogs will root it up so bad it will look like it was tilled.

#27 ·
Black Widow Deer Lures has some great hog scents. They collect fresh sow in heat urine since hogs breed all year long. Great stuff from some great folks.

#29 ·
I spose I could turn out a hog lure. Could turn one down out of wood and paint it to look like a roast’n ear. Would have to be trolled behind a 4x4 on stout cord, 12/0 hooks at least.:burnout:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.