Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am new here and also at Woodbury WMA can someone give me some advice? I was a avid hunter and trapper for years till the wife and kids put a end to that 17 years ago, finally put my foot down ( I know I am a little slow). I pulled out the old Marlin 30/30 and ready to go. I have check out Woodbury for hog hunting and plan to go next week.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Welcome to MO from central Florida. Will you be hunting Woodbury or do you work there? Very nice looking but wet 25,000 acre WMA. ;D I hunted a 25,000 acre WMA in central Florida this last deer season. That was a first for me but I learned to enjoy it very much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. Yea I have been looking at Woodbury the season is right for hogs I will go down Fri to get a foot on the ground or rather foot in the swamp look. I have been stoked for months. Woodbury is about a 3 hour drive.
How about Fla any Hogs down there?

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Lots of hogs in the WMA if you look for em. I stayed away from the wet areas while deer hunting but many hogs were taken by others. I've attached a picture of the scorecard for deer and hog on the last day of deer season (1/9/2011) from my WMA (Bull Creek). Good luck and post pics when you get back.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Glad your back to hunting in SC. Ive hunted seems like my whole 48 yrs. Cant ever see me stoping. Good luck.Always wanted to learn to trap, got stacks of fish fur and game mags,But never had someone to teach me.Caught a few ***** and skunks in live cage traps but thats it.love calling predators with mouth calls. Swamps are different but very good places, I like em alot. And Welcome from Enoree SC. Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Welcome to MO from Wyo, and welcome back to hunting. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Welcome from TN, Lonnie.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1985 Gunner very impressive board I like how you do the board.
Gunrunner any advice on the swamp hunting? Trapping is a blast just no market right now.
Janott some day I will get out your way. I do have a cousin that archery hunts the elk out there He has a mount of a record Elk.
His mother coached the Olymic Gold metal winner a few years ago. I have watched them shoot long distance and arch the arrow to the bullseye.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
ithca db said:
1985 Gunner very impressive board I like how you do the board.
Gunrunner any advice on the swamp hunting? Trapping is a blast just no market right now.
Janott some day I will get out your way. I do have a cousin that archery hunts the elk out there He has a mount of a record Elk.
His mother coached the Olymic Gold metal winner a few years ago. I have watched them shoot long distance and arch the arrow to the bullseye.
Best hurry before the wolves get worse. :'(

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Rubber boot or hip boots ;D Skeeter cell, go light.If you use a climber use a light one. Hunt the sign,Find it and set up close.If you cant trace it back. I like hunting the edges of two different terrians. Hunt as long as you can without having to move.Thats only three to four hours for me,then I have to move or I get stiff..Id rather leave a good spot than risk educating em to my set up. But I hunt going to and coming from my set ups. Killed some decent ones doing that and one very good one.Seen guys get up from hunting and act like the hunts over. Splashing water, breaking limbs and such. Its like a burgler kicking a door down, then tip toeing around the house ;D IMO anyway.. I hunt till I see the truck.Hope this helps some . Gunrunner,,

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advise I have the snake boots just in case. I am not famlilar with the skeeter cell? I like baldy trophy in your right hand.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! Lots of hogs here, too! Glad you're here and good luck on the hunt! John

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Thats ol peanut in my right hand.Money couldnt buy her. And if shes around,you dont need snake boots. Shes the best snake dog in the world ;D And I aint kidding,She thinks everone of em is out to kill us all! ;D If she sees one,its like somebody set her on fire! And she dosent stop barking, till somebody sees it too! She finds a couple ever year.Shes got four pups now. I could sell 20 if I had em. I dont own a pair of snake boots, Feel pretty safe in rubber knee boots. Its called a therma cell, runs off batteries and repels skeeters. Wal mart,bass pro,Dicks sporting goods and plenty of others carry them. They work. Randy,,

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owner's, from Maine!!! 8)

Gunrunner,
I'm sure glad I don't have any over those 'creepy-crawling-slithering' things around these psrts!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
You talking about them reptiles or us ******** ?? Mainecat ;D Heck we both freeze below 40 ;D We got a few more dangerous thangs down here too. ;D Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to Woodburry for the first time next week... I have only seen maps... where is a good spot to set up there for hogs? All I can see is a lot of trees and both rivers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts