Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Hog Hunting in 2 weeks...

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ithca db 
#1 ·
Hello all, Today I am amped up as my uncle stopped by to visit today and told he if I wanted to me and a friend of mine could go and shoot some hogs at his BIL's ranch, he wants me to shoot some hogs off of it so that he can plant some watermelons on the farm in the coming weeks and doesn't want the hogs to destroy his crops like they did last year. In a previous tread I planned on hunting with my 1894 in .44mag to get a couple hogs under my belt with it , still plan too, but after reading over 1895 tread section I am now planning to squeeze in a hunt or to with the ol' guide gun in 45-70.... ;D Anywho, just wanted to share my good news with you all and hopefully in the coming weeks I will have some photos of some dead piggies to post.... :)

#4 ·
VTDW said:
Do a good job and you will for sure be invited back. Good luck with sleeping between now and then. ;D
Yeah, don't I know it. I was told by my uncle about a month ago I could go and shoot some hogs of his BIL's place and I was finding it hard to sleep then with the anticipating the hunt and all, now that the time has drawn nearer my anticipation has grown more and I am restless and still not finding it any easier to sleep.... ;D Oh well,hopefully with a few hogs on the ground in a couple of weeks, I will be able to get a good nights rest once again... ;)

#5 ·
ithca db said:
Congrats on the the invite I call those people Best Friends. I will be going to some public land this Thur-Sat for some walk and stalk. If there are too many to handle let me know.
This is my first hunt in years I am amped as well.
Good Luck
Thank you and good luck to you as well, I hope you score on your first hog hunt. Hog hunting is alot like buying marlins and potatoe chips you can have just one.... ;D So, where about you going hunting at, are you in Texas? Again good luck to you on your first hog hunt and be safe...

#6 ·
I am in SC. I hunted hogs in GA. one time but really didn't know what I was doing I hope my reserch pays off. I have hunted and traped for the first 20 years of my life then wife and kids got in the way, I am now ready to get back into it. I just hope the fur prices will some day come back, the only way this ******* will get rich

#7 ·
ithca db said:
I am in SC. I hunted hogs in GA. one time but really didn't know what I was doing I hope my reserch pays off. I have hunted and traped for the first 20 years of my life then wife and kids got in the way, I am now ready to get back into it. I just hope the fur prices will some day come back, the only way this ******* will get rich
Hope all goes well on your hog hunt now that it's go time, good luck and share your success when you return...What will you be using on your hunt? ;)

#8 ·
Ok here is the update, biggest thing, I had a great time! I did not see a pig, lots of signs and some very fresh. I think they where very dug in during daylight hours. Now for what made made the blood pump was the 12 foot alligator that exploded just feet from me in the thick swamp. Sorry no pictures I was too busy making a grand exit.
By the way the the gun I used is and old Marlin 30-30 I have had since I was 12 with a sling my first girlfriends parents made for me for Christmas one year.

#11 ·
ithca, Sorry to hear that you didn't put a hog on the ground with that 30-30 butt glad to hear you had fun, it also sounds like you did walk away from this hunt with some pretty cool memories which in my opinion are just as satisfying as taking an animal on a hunt... ;)

#12 ·
destroyer4570 said:
ithca, Sorry to hear that you didn't put a hog on the ground with that 30-30 butt glad to hear you had fun, it also sounds like you did walk away from this hunt with some pretty cool memories which in my opinion are just as satisfying as taking an animal on a hunt... ;)
I was like a kid in the candy story, forgot work and the wife and kids. hard to come back to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.