Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow Marlin owners,

First post on the forum.
I bought my 1895GS in 2012 but have only shot a couple of smaller deer and goats until yesterday.

I was hunting along the edge of some thick Blackberry at the start of a mountain and came across a Boar and sow.
I lined up the Hog at about 40 metres and shot him offhand. He ran 5 metres uphill and then raised his front legs
mid stride and rolled back downhill and fell into the Blackberry thorn bushes. We had
to get the vehicle and tow him out. Weight was 105kg (230 approx. lbs.)
Double lung shot so it didn't turn his lights off immediately. Regardless he didn't run far.
Bullet was Hornady 325 gr. Factory Leverevolution. Reloading for this fine calibre soon.

Cheers,

Tony.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to MO TT. Nice hog. I'm going on my first hog hunt next weekend in the wild Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I'll be using my 444P Outfitter with the LR 265grn. I hope I am as lucky in finding one and as good a shot as you. Have you taken other hogs with other calibers before? That really is a beaut.
:tee:

Reactions: Tony Tiger

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
Good 'ay mate, nice pig! I can smell the bacon cooking from here. I thought you folks down under were pretty much gunless (new word). Good to know you can still hunt. Is the price of ammo higher than here in the States? What do you pay for a box of (20) Hornady LeverEvolution - just curious.

Gr8rtst

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to MO TT. Nice hog. I'm going on my first hog hunt next weekend in the wild Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I'll be using my 444P Outfitter with the LR 265grn. I hope I am as lucky in finding one and as good a shot as you. Have you taken other hogs with other calibers before? That really is a beaut.
:tee:
Thanks Vrkar. I have shot them with .270 Winchester, 12 Gauge and 7.62x54R (in Croatia). You have plenty of gun with the .444 which is quite popular in Aus. Good luck with the hunt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good 'ay mate, nice pig! I can smell the bacon cooking from here. I thought you folks down under were pretty much gunless (new word). Good to know you can still hunt. Is the price of ammo higher than here in the States? What do you pay for a box of (20) Hornady LeverEvolution - just curious.

Gr8rtst
The average hunter in Aus. Is limited to Bolt, pump and lever action rifles and lever action and Double barrel shotguns. Handgun hunting is forbidden. Basically excludes all semi-autos and pump action shotguns. The price of ammo is more expensive. Anywhere from being slightly more expensive to downright highway robbery. The Hornady 45-70 Ammo is anywhere between $45-49 whereas Remington and Winchester are around the $65 mark. No choice but to hand load for 45-70.

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
God Almighty, you are our future if we don't pay more attention to the gun grabbers here! Ammo prices have crept up steadily here in the US of A and are approaching the 'highway- robbery' level but still not as stiff as what you're paying. I don't reload rifle or pistol ammo but I know those who do are feeling the pinch for component prices. It's getting so that only the ruling elite and the filthy rich will be able to afford the shooting sports in the future. Pricing us out is becoming more effective than outright gun control efforts - it has that effect, anyway.

Well, keep on putting that pork in the fridge, TT. I'm certain there is no shortage of porkers to plink in your neck of the woods.

Gr8rtst

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
God shootin' Tiger! Pork roast for dinner!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Well done and also welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Nice lookin piggy, Congrats to you sir.:congrats:
Welcome also from my little bluff here in W TN.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Tony Tiger, welcome! you'll grow to love that gun more with every pull of the trigger.

Oz brothers, I hurt for you... hope your access to cheap lead and reasonably priced primers and powder is a bit better than over the counter ammo... 45-70 at $50-$60 bucks ??? OUCH!!

Is New Zealand equally bad?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Tony Tiger - Great looking boar. Congratulations!!! You mentioned reloading 45/70 and I just wanted to mention that you need to be careful with your brass. If you are using Hornady LeverEvolution brass, it will be shorter than all other factory brass. I prefer not to use it bc it is a pain in the butt for me to keep track of and the reduced case capacity could cause issues. I can't remember the length difference but it was enough for me to not reload with them. :beerglass:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Good work Tony and welcome aboard.
I reckon I'd give my left gonad to have a huntable population of pigs in Tas.

Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts