Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gunna take a bear hunt in fall which has been known for taking hogs as well . I plan on taking a 35rem and 357 mag as sidearm. I have a while
to work up loads and what wondering there were any suggestions out there on bullet selections.. Thanks

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I don't reload and don't own a 357 but do have a 35 rem and if I was goana be hunting black bear I wouldnt have a problem using any factory 200 grainers but if I was going after brown/grizzly I'd would probably get me some Buffalo bore 220's or more than likely grab my 45-70!!!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
In the .357 a Nosler 180gr Partition w/ 14-15gr Lil' Gun for 1500-1600fps. Oughta Do the Trick.
Either That or a Hard Cast Boolit of the Same Weight at Around the Same Speed.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Tim Lee

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Bear hunting around here I use just 200gr bullets for the 35. Which one would be your choice.. they all work fine. As far as 357.. It would work fine for small to med hogs but if i'm staring down a big boar hog or bear.. gimme that 35 with 200 grainers and he'll be laying there. :biggrin:
CWT

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'd look at the 200's that are around, feed it a decent diet of Leverevolution. If you wanna step up to 220's that LVR will work fine as well. Good luck with the hunt. Either way you'll have plenty for black bear.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Bear hunting around here I use just 200gr bullets for the 35. Which one would be your choice.. they all work fine. As far as 357.. It would work fine for small to med hogs but if i'm staring down a big boar hog or bear.. gimme that 35 with 200 grainers and he'll be laying there. :biggrin:
CWT
Just curious (since I don't own one), what's the usual velocity of your 200gr 35Rem load? Lead or Jacketed?

I'm getting 1640fps AMV out of a 24" barreled 1894 using a gas-checked 200gr lead boolit with 13.6gr of LilGun and I'd expect it would be effective up to a couple hundred pounds or better. Not too sure how much velocity it'd lose in a revolver though.

-Tim

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I have several 200gr FTX and RNFPs.. Also have some 180gr RNFP hard lead possibly for 357.? Also 140gr FTX for 357... Plenty of LVRevolution powder,H110,H4198,HP38 and IMR 3031.Looking
forward to working them up. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Since you Have it. Use H-110 w/ Mag Primer & the 180gr Lead for the .357 & LVR w/ the 200gr. RNFP in the .35Rem. Both Should Equal Dead Bear.
US58

Reactions: lipripper

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Just curious (since I don't own one), what's the usual velocity of your 200gr 35Rem load? Lead or Jacketed?

I'm getting 1640fps AMV out of a 24" barreled 1894 using a gas-checked 200gr lead boolit with 13.6gr of LilGun and I'd expect it would be effective up to a couple hundred pounds or better. Not too sure how much velocity it'd lose in a revolver though.

-Tim
Tim... I don't own a chrony.. My 35 load is 39 grs H335 200 gr jacketed Sp.. Hornady right now.. Honestly accuracy is that of a bolt gun at 50-100yds.. The thing on hogs is.. Shoot just behind the ear.. and he's pork .. "the other white meat" :biggrin:.. That 1894 will kill the dickens out of a hog.. You have nothing to worry about...although I am assuming it s a 44 mag.. If so I would go to at least a 240 gr for penetration my 2cents... CWT

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Tim... I don't own a chrony.. My 35 load is 39 grs H335 200 gr jacketed Sp.. Hornady right now.. Honestly accuracy is that of a bolt gun at 50-100yds.. The thing on hogs is.. Shoot just behind the ear.. and he's pork .. "the other white meat" :biggrin:.. That 1894 will kill the dickens out of a hog.. You have nothing to worry about...although I am assuming it s a 44 mag.. If so I would go to at least a 240 gr for penetration my 2cents... CWT
CWT -

Naw, it's a 357Mag.... I can get a 205gr GC lead boolit for it from the same vendor, but I like the flat nose on their 200gr version better.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
CWT -

Naw, it's a 357Mag.... I can get a 205gr GC lead boolit for it from the same vendor, but I like the flat nose on their 200gr version better.

-Tim
Got it... Well I can tell ya.. like any caliber .. shot placement is everything.. get them close and it will take down a big boar just behind the ear. The last boar I shot was about 10yrds in the thick fog.. All I could see was his face. Hit him just above the eye.. but it was a 30-06 150gr corelokt.. :biggrin: Just be careful on shot placement and you'll have tenderloin for dinner.... Nothing can live with a shot to the neck & head area..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think some of you guys are missing something. Lipripper is using the .357 cartridge in a handgun, not a rifle.jd45
I guess I should have been more specific.. I was referring to the 1894 rifle that Tim had... as far as a handgun.. well... I would have nothing but a rifle for hogs or bear.. by the time I got that close for a handgun..
it would be dead!

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think it's unclesarge58. Sounds like he's quoting rifle velocities for that 180GR .357 pill he's recommending, but I went to Hodgdon's site & looked up .357MAG Pistol data. With Li'l Gun the max charge is 15.0GRS with the 180 for 1422FPS out of a 10" pistol barrel. For H110 the max is 13.5GRS for 1396FPS out of the same 10" pistol barrel. jd45

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
jd45: You Are Absolutely Correct. It Was Me.
My Mistake. I Thought He was Using an 1894 in .357.
Data I Posted is For Use In a Rifle or a TC Contender w/ at Least a 14in. Barrel.
CWT: I Agree. I'd Prefer a Rifle Pig Huntin'
But, The Pistol Data Quoted by jd45 would make for a Nice Back Up (A 44Mag would Be Better IMHO)
Sorry about the Confusion,
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
unclesarge.. I think that bear was also on the original post as well.. I've been blessed to have killed a bear before.... 357... my opinion.. way to small but thats just me. You've got to have some punch to put down a 400lb bear. 44 mag is better..These guys around here use 44's all the time for bear but it is in a tree at a few yrds away They also use 30-30's and 35's. .. my huntn buddy uses 300 win mag... A little overkill but it gets it done. :hmmmm: Sorry I may have gottn off topic a little.. :shot:

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
This Next Bear Season I'll be Using my 444 w/ FrankenMauser's 40SW Cased 275gr Homemade Boolits :ahhhhh:
Still Think the 180gr Partitions would Work just Fine on Pigs at Close Range. Even in a Handgun.
UncleSarge58

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for the responses. Ya'll are all right.. CWT I will be hunting bear in East TN and using a 35 but the guys who run the dogs say chances are a hog will be
along and recommend a sidearm just in case. They said they lost two dogs last year on hunts. We can get off topic all ya want as long as we talking hunting n shootin
I'm all ears:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.