Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1946 Marlin 39a that has a hinged rear sight that folds down almost flat. It is really nice when using a reciever sight. None of my other Marlin 39s have the hinged sight - they are all a one piece sight that doesn't fold at all. I was just wondering which years the hinged sights were on the rifles. Does anyone happen to know?

Thanks

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I have 1947 and 1950 39As.Neither has a hinged sight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Could be mistaken but I don't believe they ever came stock with a tang sight, which is what I think you are referring to.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The folding rear buckhorn sight you are talking about was introduced in 1972, so the one you have on your '46 model is not original.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Toad67, it is the rear leaf that folds down and thanks for the information JoeBud. Someone must have switched sights at some point. It looks good and functions well. Folded down, it is completely out of the sight picture when looking through the receiver sight.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Marble's folding leaf rear open sights are quite common after-market parts exchanges and in some cases are factory-supplied sights. They can still be had, should you want to equip your other guns the same way. Something to be said for a common sight picture on multiple guns. Probably have been around for 100 years. Very nice for scoped guns that may be used either with irons or glass, the rear doesn't have to be removed to clear the scope bell and lose zero. The ones I have have a rotating and sliding notch plate with various notch shapes. If you get the right Lyman receiver sight, it'll have a pushbutton so the slide can be removed quickly to use the open sights. There are stop screws on the slide so zero isn't lost.

There are two sorts of these rear folding leafs, one is on the end of a spring leaf with an elevator, like a standard cheapy .22 open rear only with a folding notch portion. The other sort has just a standing leaf hinged to a dovetail base, you need a dinky screwdriver to adjust elevation with that sort since it uses the notch plate to slide up and down for adjustments. I see those most frequently on centerfires as backup sights for optics.

Stan S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts