Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpted from a recent article; please share more info related to day-to-day costs as the situation develops.

“The UK is facing the biggest decline in living standards since comparable records began in the 1950s, according to an independent forecast.

The London-based Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) released a report on Monday, saying that the "cost of living crisis" has "well and truly" arrived in the UK. CEBR cites the recent uprating of the energy price cap – reflecting the global rise in energy costs – as the reason, saying that average UK households will be paying a whopping 73% more for their energy bill than compared to a year ago. In addition, petrol prices are up by 30% on the year and diesel prices are 36% higher, the report says.

According to the consultancy, in the coming months the consumer price inflation will far outstrip wage growth, jumping by a further 2.5% from its February level of 6.2%, which was the highest in 30 years. While most forecasts expect the UK economy to grow in each quarter of 2022, the energy price crisis will still see the households notably worse off, CEBR notes.”

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder, aloud, exactly when politics will meet the economic reality of expansive defense spending in the midst of the worst inflation in 70 years?
Does the appetite for war spending really exceed the need for fiscal discipline? I hardly see an outcome where the UK citizenry will consent to this, but these are interesting times, indeed.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My gas and electricity bills have gone through the roof and I am now being asked to stump up £215 A MONTH!!!!!!
The way things are going I'll be cooking in the garden over an open fire. Too frightened to put the heating on.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I know that when it suited them, all the rulers here bowed to Russia and worse, China, since the end of the Berlin wall_
now there must be some other reason very different from solidarity which makes them assume a different attitude waving a new trendy foreign banner .
financing their choices of political euroconvenience is plainly suicidal, and these clowns are happily & proudly burying us fiscally and economically, imho_

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
“As many as four in 10 people in Britain could fall into fuel poverty when the price cap rises again in October, the heads of the nation’s energy companies have told the UK Parliament, The Guardian reported this week. According to the publication, they have called for more government support for vulnerable households which are facing a “truly horrific” winter.

The chief executive of E.ON UK, Michael Lewis, said that between 30% and 40% of Britons could go into fuel poverty from October when the industry regulator is expected to put up the annual limit on tariffs.

“We are expecting a severe impact on customers’ ability to pay,” Lewis told members of parliament, adding that he expected customers’ debts to rise by 50%, or £800 million ($1.04 billion).

The average household dual-fuel tariff has risen from £1,278 ($1,668) to £1,971 ($2,573) after the energy regulator lifted the price cap on bills earlier this month. Some experts expect the price cap to hit £2,600 ($3,394) in October.”

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Why this fixation on oil/gas ? Given the huge forest present in many areas, wood pellets which dominate household heating in some Northern European countries would have to be less expensive, efficient to produce and ship. The house here, heated with wood pellets, sits high on a cold windy northern Virginia ridge, 1 3/4 ton total burn, less than $600 for the winter, house kept at 70 degrees.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Unfortunately many houses built since the 60s were built without chimneys as they were all centrally heated. So there was, apparently, no need. Many of these houses were built for council estates along with high-rise flats (apartments) so they were totally reliant on electricity and gas for heating, lighting and cooking. And as many of the less well off are living in these places they are also the ones facing the higher bills because they have no other way or means of heating their homes. We saw all this a few years ago when the cost of gas, electric and water started to go through the roof. The utilities companies banged up the prices as much as they could, claiming that they needed to do so to cover future investment. Then they had to explain why their profits had gone through the roof because they were raking it in to the tune of
British Gas - Up from 447 million pounds 2020 to 948 million pounds 2021..........more than double

Electric - The six big electric companies have made more than 1 BILLION pounds profit BEFORE the price hike, with The highest earner, SSE, making £600m alone.
So why the hell are they banging up their prices other than pure corporate greed.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A new coal mine, the first in three decades, is under consideration in the town of Whitehaven. The coal will be used to supply the steel mills, not used for power generation. I’m sure this will nevertheless stir up the green environmentalist busybodies in the U.K. and elsewhere. I foresee some political consequences in the very near future.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We don't have coal mines anymore other than a couple of freeminers doing it for themselves, We have closed our steel works, our car makers and just about everything else that we used to do ourselves, and are now importing everything or allowing foreign countries to build their cars over here to save having to import them.
A classic case is where I live. A New tram system has been built through the centre of the city to link up with Wolverhampton. The steel track was brought in from China (because it was soooooooooooooooooo cheap) and laid to a great fanfare.
Just over five years later and it all had to be ripped up and re-laid...................because it was rubbish and was actually bending.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
You have to ask yourself at what point will crime become rampant ??: When gas reaches 10 dollars per gallon ? Will the criminals deem that worth murdering you for it ? At what point do you risk coming out of the store and getting robbed at gun point for your bag of groceries ? How are you going to protect yourself when they ban you from owning guns ??

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You have to ask yourself at what point will crime become rampant ??: When gas reaches 10 dollars per gallon ? Will the criminals deem that worth murdering you for it ? At what point do you risk coming out of the store and getting robbed at gun point for your bag of groceries ? How are you going to protect yourself when they ban you from owning guns ??
Same as we do............allow them to steal everything and then call the police who won't bother to come.
My local Chemist shop has to keep the doors locked and only allow in one person at a time. Customers have to queue up outside. The reason........because shoplifters go in there and just help themselves without even bothering to hide the fact from the staff. They load up their bags in front of the women staff and then calmly walk out. When the police were called they refused to attend because the crime was less than £200. When we pass the shop whilst walking the dog we see half a dozen druggies and alcoholics standing around waiting to get into the door. The staff have to wait until they have gone before they let anyone in.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Lots been said. I can only add that like a tidal wave, everone will get wet sooner or later. I know no more than anyone else but regard Putin as the cause. His actions in Ukraine have effected fuel and food supplied worldwide. We have a complex worldwide supply and demand system, and Putin has simply stuck a spanner in the works. What is his ajenda? His endgame? I for one can only imagine.

Today, 27th April the news reports Russia has halted gas supplied to Poland and Bulgaria. This is because they refuse to pay in Rubels. Poland and Bulgaria say this breaks current agreements, and is blackmail. Russia has also attacked the UK for supplying advanced weapons to Ukraine. We have just agreed to supply AFVs in addition to the many weapons already supplied. Many families here have taken in Ukrainian families.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Russia should have been integrated into the E.U. in the post-Soviet era instead of ostracized. Europe’s “leadership” is making one bad decision after another. If by some miracle they avoid direct military confrontation with Russia they will absolutely not evade the laws of economics. Exactly the same can be said for the U.S./Pax Americana.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Well, if you thought Putin was to blame yesterday, have a look at today's headlines. He's cutting off gas to Poland and Bulgaria.

Not sure what folks were thinking as pipelines were being constructed making Russia a major fuel supplier for several European nations. Dealing with Russia..... LOL.

Putin is now the world's richest man and gains kickbacks from his oligarchs for allowing them to exist and make their billions off the backs of Russian citizens.

As long as Biden continues his ignorant oil production policies, Russia rules and reaps the rewards. We, in the meantime, will continue to suck hind tit and take it in the shorts.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts