Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I won a GunBroker Auction for a High Standard HD Military. I was finally able to pick the gun up today and was not disappointed. This one is circa 1948 and looks pretty good for 70, there's a bit of wear at the muzzle and on the grip frame, a pretty good blemish on the right side of the slide and a small scratch on the left side of the frame. It's currently wearing Franzite target grips and a trigger shoe to widen the trigger. I'll probably search out a set of factory grips for it but don't know whether it would have come with wood or plastic grips in 1948. My guess is wooden grips. I hate the way the Franzite grips fit, as you can see in the pictures there's a gap where the grips meet on both the front and back straps of the grip frame. I haven't had the opportunity to fire the gun yet, but hopefully tomorrow it'll get a full test run (along with the S&W M13 I bought over a month ago and still haven't fired). If anyone knows which grips would be correct for this gun I'd appreciate the info, doing a quick web search revealed no answers at all. By the way, the trigger feels great, no creep and a nice light break with almost no over travel. I love the tempering colors on the magazine, something you don't see anymore for sure. Enjoy the pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That victor is in great shape, beautiful gun.

I got out today with the HD and did some shooting. I ran probably 200rds through it and the only failures were ammo related. Since this is my first High Standard I wasn't sure what to expect but figured given their reputation it should be able to keep up with my modified Ruger MK III (I deleted the magazine disconnect with a MK II bushing which really helped the trigger in it). I shot the 2 guns side by side today and was not disappointed as you can see from the target and video below. There's 2 distinct groups on the HD target due to me switching my hold on the target, I noticed it was printing high and wanted to figure out the hold on it. That little cluster of 5 shots is actually 6, the top right hole in that group is actually 2 shots. The flier at 12:00 is all my fault and certainly not the gun's fault. Just didn't have the sights where they should have been when the trigger broke. Paper targets were shot off a rest at 25yds Ruger MK III on the left and HD on the right. All in all the gun ran great and shoots like a dream, that steel plate is 100yds out and the HD will ring it every time if I do my part.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
STU,

Numrich has repro walnut grips in stock.

Zgun
I saw those, I'd like originals but not sure if I'll find a decent set. I may have to go with the repros if I can't find them. Your HD looks like it just came out of the box, that's a nice find.

Stu

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.