Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I won a GunBroker Auction for a High Standard HD Military. I was finally able to pick the gun up today and was not disappointed. This one is circa 1948 and looks pretty good for 70, there's a bit of wear at the muzzle and on the grip frame, a pretty good blemish on the right side of the slide and a small scratch on the left side of the frame. It's currently wearing Franzite target grips and a trigger shoe to widen the trigger. I'll probably search out a set of factory grips for it but don't know whether it would have come with wood or plastic grips in 1948. My guess is wooden grips. I hate the way the Franzite grips fit, as you can see in the pictures there's a gap where the grips meet on both the front and back straps of the grip frame. I haven't had the opportunity to fire the gun yet, but hopefully tomorrow it'll get a full test run (along with the S&W M13 I bought over a month ago and still haven't fired). If anyone knows which grips would be correct for this gun I'd appreciate the info, doing a quick web search revealed no answers at all. By the way, the trigger feels great, no creep and a nice light break with almost no over travel. I love the tempering colors on the magazine, something you don't see anymore for sure. Enjoy the pictures.

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
congrats, good looking handgun.

I just recently pick up a 1974 vintage Victor off of gunbroker

Gun Firearm Starting pistol Trigger Airsoft gun

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That victor is in great shape, beautiful gun.

I got out today with the HD and did some shooting. I ran probably 200rds through it and the only failures were ammo related. Since this is my first High Standard I wasn't sure what to expect but figured given their reputation it should be able to keep up with my modified Ruger MK III (I deleted the magazine disconnect with a MK II bushing which really helped the trigger in it). I shot the 2 guns side by side today and was not disappointed as you can see from the target and video below. There's 2 distinct groups on the HD target due to me switching my hold on the target, I noticed it was printing high and wanted to figure out the hold on it. That little cluster of 5 shots is actually 6, the top right hole in that group is actually 2 shots. The flier at 12:00 is all my fault and certainly not the gun's fault. Just didn't have the sights where they should have been when the trigger broke. Paper targets were shot off a rest at 25yds Ruger MK III on the left and HD on the right. All in all the gun ran great and shoots like a dream, that steel plate is 100yds out and the HD will ring it every time if I do my part.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
STU,

Numrich has repro walnut grips in stock.

Zgun
I saw those, I'd like originals but not sure if I'll find a decent set. I may have to go with the repros if I can't find them. Your HD looks like it just came out of the box, that's a nice find.

Stu

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
HD-Mil is my favorite HS pistol. I have had several over the years, but manage to keep the 1st one that I owned. The trigger on mine
is perfect. Check recoil spring, they can get weak over the years. The only other thing on used ones, the rear sight is loose from being
drifted without backing off the retaining screw. This can be fixed by dropping a shotgun shot in, ahead of retaining screw. Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol Gun accessory

Reactions: Stu925
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.