1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thats cool. The ball bearing locks seem to ignite considerably faster.
I thought it interesting that several of the locks did not have the flint contacting the frizzen until just 1/3 from the bottom (or lower). I was always told that you want contact to happen at the 1/2 ay point.

What the heck was up with the lock with zippo parts installed? Some sort of plastic frizzen? It was dancing around like rubber. Ive never seen that set up before.

Zach

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was amazed at how many had most of the sparks land short of the pan between the fence and the edge. They would have been scary quick had that many sparks centered in the prime.

I think someone tried to market the zippo at one time. Better mousetrap. The wheellocks used iron pyrites but this is nothing like that. It is fast, I'll give it that.

Reactions: buckweet and SeanT

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Neat stuff to watch! The zippo pic almost seemed 'steam punk' in a way LOL!

The slow mo really show's that it doesn't take humungous illuminating shower of spark's to ignite a charge of powder. Some folks think the spark on a frizzen should almost resemble a shower produced by a grinder. I don't think there are many longarms that can match the artistic line's of a classic flintlock.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
At 5000fps you can see a lot, try that with a everyday video camera, that shows just how fast tuned Flinters can be! I've got a Video of my Beck getting fired, fast lock time!

Reactions: buckweet
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.