Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I finally bought me a new 336W last December ;D. The first time at the range it was shooting about 8" high. I did some research and found that it apparently isn't uncommon to have a 336 that shoots high even with the rear sight at its lowest point. No problem, I planned on replacing the factory sights with a peep sight any way. I installed a set of XS ghost ring sights and went back to the range. The rifle was shooting 14" high at 50 yards :eek:. I contacted XS and they took care of getting me a taller front sight. My question is, why do some rifles shoot so high and others seem to shoot just fine (height wise)? I could understand if there was a problem with the barrel being damaged, but the rifle shoots good groups. I would think that if all of the barrels and actions are produced the same way they would all shoot pretty much the same. Are there other rifles that do this, also?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There may be some individual rifles that may or may not need taller front sights, but all in all, most guns are about the same. I think XS puts their shortest front sight in their kit with the idea less is more but stand ready to replace with a higher one "as needed".

That's why Skinner sells front sights that are "matched" to the height of his beautiful aperture sights.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts