Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"High End"Scopes

I have a question for yall with more experience with scopes than me.How do scopes like the Redfield Revolution & Nikon Prostaff,etc compare to their more expensive ones?Are they worth the extra money?Can you see a difference in the field or at the range?Basically all I've ever had are the "cheapos",but did buy one of the Revolutions for my xl7 and looks pretty good to me.I know some won't buy anything but the higher priced stuff.Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Re: "High End"Scopes

Hi Desert gun! Welcome to MO!

I just bought a Redfield today, after months of comparison with other scopes, including the Nikon Prostaff and Monarch.

Big selling points were Made In The USA, sharp and clear picture, and a simple ranging reticle.

Should be able to let you know Monday how well it filled the niche.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

You pays your money and you takes your chances, when it comes to scopes. Reliability of the reticle adjustment is crucial but can go haywire at any time. A Leupold of mine was chronically unreliable in this respect. A Swarovski variable, tested by a local magazine, showed variations in POI, depending on the magnification selected. A Weaver of mine had unreliable adjustments. You could spend a ton of money on these things if you were really unlucky.

FWIW my latest scope is a fixed power Lynx. No touble for more than a year. The Leupold only lasted two months of weekend shooting.
Sorry to be such a dog about it mate but it's the truth.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts

"You pays your money and you takes your chances, when it comes to scopes"

I agree with that.

You really have to compare apples to apples though. Many manufacturers make high end 30mm models and that is an example of what should be compared to each other. I'm stuck-on, and dumbfounded by, the Weaver K4 when compared to other 1" tubes of any price.

·
Registered
210 Posts

It's always a chance. Even the very high end scopes can fail. I read an article once in, I think, Rifle Magazine, (may have been Outdoor Life) about the "truth" about scopes. The author said he had a real ultra light 338 win mag that kicked with all sorts of recoil and that was what he used to test scopes. He said he had had some very expensive scopes that were supposed to be indestructible crap out on it and some very cheap scopes hold up fine. Basically the moral to his article was that once sighted in, most scopes of all price ranges as a whole will hold zero pretty well. Better glass, lens coatings, and more accurate adjustments are where the added cost of the high end ones come from. I haven't had many scopes fail but have had both cheap and expensive ones fail. I don't own one yet but from what I've read the Readfields are getting goo reviews.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts

I have literally wasted hundreds and hundreds of $ over the years on scopes. Most of the time by reading posts like this! I must be a slow learner because I was past 60yr old before I learned.

I don't necessarily hold with more expensive os better as I have had that (absolute) bite me in the butt.

I also seldom recommend people BUT give serious consideration to calling Doug at Camera Land and discuss your type of hunting and the conditions you hunt in and see what he has to say. I know they are an advertiser here but I stake my reputation on Doug's ethics, knowledge and credibility. AND think about your conversation a while before making a purchase from anyone.

Good luck and good hunting,

Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks guys that helps.Can't really afford the high dollar stuff right now any way and doubt I need it for my uses.The Redfield seems good to me for the 150.00 I paid for it.Getting a 22hornet out soon,may try one of the K-4s on it,and thanks Dave,I am gonna call Doug at cameraland soon.I love this great advice,awesome!Thanks to all.

·
Registered
235 Posts

I really love the Prostaffs. I've used them for years and they've never given any trouble. They are about the only scope I know of that will hold up to the 500S&W Handi Rifle.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts

I have old Redfields and one new 2X7X33. I have Weavers too for rifles and shotgun. Have a Nikon ML. Omega 3X9X40 on my 338MX a Weaver shotgun scope 4X32 on a 444S. I use the shotgun and ML. scopes for the eye relief and they're made to take a pounding. I personally like the Weaver scopes they're one piece tube makes them a stronger constructed scope. Less parts to seal together and falter. My Redfield sweats at the casket that seals the objected lens. I emailed Redfield to ask if this was normal and they said yes it will stop just wipe it off. It has not stop yet after 1 1/2 years.

Mounting a scope properly is the key of how well your scope will last and hold it's zero time after time year after year. If you buy ammo sometime different lots of the same brand and bullet grains would have a different P.O.I. I reload and find this true just by changing the the brand or type of powder and even the grains charge. I go back to my pet load and I'm back to zero without adjusting my scope.

Sorry if I'm not much help.
T :) NY

·
Banned
2,593 Posts

I partly agree with VTDW about the wasted $$. I've recently cleaned house and took stock of what I've had and decided to keep. I don't want to say my $1500 scopes were a "waste" but they were absolutely not needed to get the job done just as good. Those high dollar scopes have a damn good sight picture and the user has to decide what their "worth" is. I have two center fires left out of a hundred thousand dollars worth of rifles over several years, both 336's in 35 remington. One is scoped with a Weaver K4 the other wears ghost rings. I kept one 22 rifle which unbelievably is scoped with a Weaver 4X rimfire.

Goodluck on your quest.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts

Yes, good luck on your quest, as that is just what it is.
After 40 years with Lyman and Weaver scopes, all used and under $50, I bought some new Swift scopes (love them) and some used Leupolds (love them, too) all under $135. Most were Internet sales and all have been great scopes. The high end scopes are great if you can afford them and if you have a need for what they can do. I like to stalk and get in close, so they are wasted on me.

A good clear 3x or 4x is plenty for under 300 yards, and mostly I hunt under 100 yards. Several elk, deer and antelope have been under 50 yards. That doesn't require a super scope. It does require a scope that the cross hairs stay where you put them, holds zero, and doesn't fog up. Anything else is optional and not a real requirement for me.

Your requirements will dictate for you what you need. On with your quest!

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Registered
9,666 Posts

I have a number of different scopes and have upgraded over the years. I have mostly Leupold VXII scopes on my hunting rifles and love them, I have some older Weavers and they are ok but not as bright as a newer modern scope, Have tried Redfields and they were good, tried Tasco's and they were junk, clear but could not take a beating. Swift was good and I had one a 338WM for years before I upgraded to a Leupold. I have only had one Burris and it is ok and is mounted on a high power. I really like the Leupolds and I even have one on my Marlin model 60 ;D it's a 3x7 power scope. One of my long range rifles I have a Shepherd scope on and it is a top quality high dollar scope, but when it comes to optics I believe you get what you pay for, I just can't see having a $50 dollar scope on a $1000 dollar rifle on a hunt that could be a hunt of a life time. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts

janott said:
I just can't see having a $50 dollar scope on a $1000 dollar rifle on a hunt that could be a hunt of a life time. ;)
True Enough!!

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts

believe janott talking about a $50. dollars new scope which I totally agree with.
Sweetwater you can buy a $50. dollars used Leupold on eBay or a garage sale and could be as good as new.

I certainly wouldn't put a $29. dollar or $50. dollar scope on my rifles. I leaned the hard way by putting a $50. dollar Bushnell 1.5X4X20 on my BLR 358W. It worked okay till one day at the range I was firing and the scope went milky white. I sent it back to Bushnell with a letter and they sent it back fixed with a letter stating that I should buy a better scope for a rifle like a 358W. This was in the 1983 + $50 DOLLAR was worth $150. than. I still have the scope mounted on a Rem. 760-35R with see through rings. This setup works fine on a 760-35R.

As far as the scope purchased in 1983 for $50 dollars I think this price included see through rings and it was installed free. I believe it was over priced for that time.

T ;D NY

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yea I noticed my Redfield sweats around the objective too_Only had it a couple months but didn't know what was up with that!Thanks for the info guys.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts

"I just can't see having a $50 dollar scope on a $1000 dollar rifle"

I feel the same way but I know tons of big dogs sporting Bushnell Banners and claim they are the best low light scope ever. ???

By the way, this morning I was clearing out some old rifle boxes in the attic and found a 308 bolt action NIB. I'm going to keep her too and probably scope it with a Redfield or Leupold 2-7.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts

Scope debates are always interesting. My "top-end" scopes are an old Bushnell Scopechief VI 3-9X40 with BDC which sits on my Ruger 30-06, a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7X32, which sits on my 444SS, and another Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7X32, which I just installed on my Savage 99 in 300 Savage. I have 4 Bushnell Banners (yeah, Jake hates them), 2 of which are on my 760 pumps, one on a Marlin 336, and one on a Savage 22 mag. I have several Simmons (gasp!) ProHunter 2-7X32 scopes which sit on the rest of my 336's.

All of these scopes function flawlessly for me. Some of them have been mounted on my guns for years, and have held zero, and have accurate adjustments. Where I hunt, they work just fine. As someone mentioned that they wouldn't put a $50 scope on a $1000 gun, I'm not going to put a super expensive scope on a $250 gun. But that's just me.

I think the Scopechief, and the Elite 3200's are very comparable in sharpness and clarity. They are by far my best scopes, and that's why they sit on the guns they are on. The Banner's are really good scopes for the money. The Simmons are fine, but I won't buy any more of them. If they crap out, I may replace them with Bushnell's.

Oh, by the way, over the years I have determined that a 5X scope is absolutely perfect for where I hunt. All my variables sit at 5X unless I get the opportunity for a significantly longer shot.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts

I don't hate Bushnell, they seem to work.

"5X scope"

I could only wish. That discontinued Weaver 4.75 I gave to my son was awesome.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts

You can buy a H&R 45-70 or 22 Hornet for $250. dollars and put on a $500. scope if this does it for you. The price of the rifle shouldn't set the price of the scope. A scope that isn't for you shouldn't be put on your rifle no matter the price of the rifle. A scope is an investment separate from the rifle. It can be placed rifle to rifle and sold with or separate from the rifle.

With this said I believe there are good scope on the market today for $200. dollars and down. If you shop around you can get great buys sometimes 50% off. I paid $130 for a Nikon Omega 3X9X40 that's $120. off regular price. I paid $109. for a Weaver 3X9X38 regular price $200. dollars on http://www.natchezss.com/ when they're having special buy sales.

T 8) NY

1 - 20 of 48 Posts