Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know if this story would fit but what the heck.
About two years ago the wife and I bought an old homestead on 20 acres in our beloved U.P. The house had been empty for about 10 or 12 years. There were many piles of clothes, boxes, picture albums and papers all over the upstairs. So we decided to build us a good old fashion burn pile. The best thing we found downstairs was a beautiful Stickley Brothers Rocker. Also found that the house was originally all handhewn log. The Finns have one heck of a talent with wood!
Anyway we went upstair and I pulled the trailer under the window and started to throw out the trash as we went through it. Found an old box full of old pics. of the property and the family (all deceased). In the box was the original deen from 1900. Bought the 20 acres at that time for 3.05. Holy Wah!
There were a couple of really nasty old beds, one with three old matresses.
There was an old quilt on top of it and I pulled it back. Much to my amazement there was a very thick looking envelope laying there. I picked it up and sure enough it was loaded with greenbacks.
I hollered at the wife and she could not believe it. You just never think these things happen, at least to you. Inside was 2744.00 in old bills from the 40's and 50's. Mostly 100.00 dollar bills.
That money had been up there for over half a century in that bed. The house had always been open. Deer hunters used it on a regular basis to build a fire in the wood burner in the kitchen. Just one, you would think just one would have gone upstairs to nose around in all those years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Askel...........did you have the bills appraised by a collector or dealer in old currency? Some of them might be worth considerably more than face value, especially if they are in real good shape.

My wife and I are restoring her family's farm house and property. It is an 1890's dogtrot. While cleaning out the upper reaches of a closet, I found an old pillow. It looked like it had been sewn together maybe 50 or 60 years ago. I told my wife we wouldn't open it up now, we would just wait until we ran out of money for the restoration. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M.Harris,
I did have some of them appraised. Many of the ones from the fifties were not of much value if any but there were a few of the 40's that did bring in some extra. I had a close friend that is into that stuff. He got me the value and showed me books and took me to a few shops. Most of the ones with any value he got. We did keep some of the others. Boy, it really took a chunk off the loan. We currently have the place up for sale as she wants to buy a nice home on acreage and not build now. Fine with me maybe we'll find another cache.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hey Askel, you mentioned "beloved U.P.". Would that be the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? Was just curious since your avatar location says Peoria.

What a find! Did you have Silver Certificates mostly?

Perferator

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it's Yooperland. Family came down here to Peoria for work. Parents retired and went back north about 20 years ago and my brother and sister moved back in Jan. So I'm the only one left in this cowtown. I have a little over 8 more years to go before retiring.
I work for Il. Amer. Water Co., the same one that owns Mi. Amer. in Calumet. Couldn't get a transfer years ago when they bought it and now I'm a bit to old to go and take a cut in pay and have it affect my pension. It would have been nice to transfer. Most people when they hear your from Peoria think you work for Cat. Glad I don't too. I think they may be going on strike again this week.
My family is from the the Keweenaw Bay area about 20 south of Houghton. My one G. Grandfather was one of the first Game Wardens in the U.P. All the rest were woodsmen. Most came there in the 1880's.
Well there's a little bit of my background from the U.P.
Are you in the U.P. ?
Yes there were some silver cert. They were mostly commons from what I found out .

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Askel said:
Yes, it's Yooperland. Family came down here to Peoria for work. Parents retired and went back north about 20 years ago and my brother and sister moved back in Jan. So I'm the only one left in this cowtown. I have a little over 8 more years to go before retiring.
I work for Il. Amer. Water Co., the same one that owns Mi. Amer. in Calumet. Couldn't get a transfer years ago when they bought it and now I'm a bit to old to go and take a cut in pay and have it affect my pension. It would have been nice to transfer. Most people when they hear your from Peoria think you work for Cat. Glad I don't too. I think they may be going on strike again this week.
My family is from the the Keweenaw Bay area about 20 south of Houghton. My one G. Grandfather was one of the first Game Wardens in the U.P. All the rest were woodsmen. Most came there in the 1880's.
Well there's a little bit of my background from the U.P.
Are you in the U.P. ?

Askel, I'm in Charlevoix, just about a half-hr south of the bridge near Petoskey on the lake mich shoreline. We've returned to the home area after 15yrs in metro detroit area. I love the area west of L'anse/Baraga and up near Houghton. The Ontonogan gorge is gorgeous! I do a special solo getaway in the summers where I pack the wrangler with camping gear and the guide gun to make a 5 day getaway. The ruggedness of the UP is still intact. Last summer I had the pleasure of hearing wolves howl in the night, seeing on shadow a moose crossing the road on highway 38 outside of Baraga. That is next to heaven! Dont blame you for wanting to come back to that place!

Perferator

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Askel, I'm in Charlevoix, just about a half-hr south of the bridge near Petoskey on the lake mich shoreline. We've returned to the home area after 15yrs in metro detroit area. I love the area west of L'anse/Baraga and up near Houghton. The Ontonogan gorge is gorgeous! I do a special solo getaway in the summers where I pack the wrangler with camping gear and the guide gun to make a 5 day getaway. The ruggedness of the UP is still intact. Last summer I had the pleasure of hearing wolves howl in the night, seeing on shadow a moose crossing the road on highway 38 outside of Baraga. That is next to heaven! Dont blame you for wanting to come back to that place!

Have some good friends that were from the Petoskey area. It is beautiful up there at the top of the mit. Their name was Simons. The old Porky mts. over Ontanogan way are gorgeous. What a fantastic way to go rough it for a while. Have not had the opportunity to see a moose yet but Mom and Dad had one in the yard a couple of years ago when they were mowing the grass.
You betcha I want to get back. My old homestead is actually just north of Pelkie right close to the Otter River that flows into Otterlake.
Had a wolf with two pups denned up close to the property last year. I never saw them but the neighbor did a number of times.
Also they saw a cougar last fall when deer hunting along the Otter there.
Of course old Mr. Black bear came for a visit last fall. I have alot of apple trees and he was taking a stroll through testing an apple here and there . Got close enough where I had to holler at the bugger. The wife and I head back for a couple of weeks come middle of May.
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts