Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
-W- With only 47 rounds it will be a short day. I suspect the rest is already loaded on the cart near the firing line. Shenandoah

·
Banned
457 Posts
"What the heck are those?"

those are 47 smiles on the face of a shooter with a 45/70, a steel plate target, some good friends, some great weather, some great country side, and add a dash of bragging.

·
Banned
457 Posts
My Bad, lol 38 55's

thanks for letting me know.

Now that is a round

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well boys and girls -- They are in fact 38-55's. All are topped with the Wet Dog 260's. A .380" bullet diameter has played very well in both my 336 Cowboy and 1893 in this caliber. Today I wanted to try some "as cast" in the 1893. Tom at Accurate Molds tuned mine to a "T", and they just sniff through a Lee sizer after they are lubed. The ten in the front row are the "as cast" group.

I loaded three to check the windage setting on the 1893 with a #108 MVA mounted on the tang. Normally I use a diamond shaped target for load testing, but I kinda knew where these were going already. The three inch square lines up with my Skinner .050" front sight exactly at 50 yards. So for the windage check I used it as a square. The first two were almost a one holer and the wind bumped me a whisker on the third shot.

View attachment 100509

The "as cast" did very well in the 1893. Most of the rest of the block in the rear went on the 650 yard dinger through the 336 Cowboy. That rifle never ceases to amaze me. Easily a 1 in a 1,000 rifle.

Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Niiiiicceee shootin... But no video? Shame on you!! Haha kidding...glad to hear you got some range time!!

Color me jealous!!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Scott you should be whipped with a wet noodle and made to stand in front of a mirror and repeat a 1000 times, i really should have bought that cowboy.

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
Wind, those are tantalizing pictures. Did you make the range tray that holds 40 rounds? I like that a lot too.

BTW Ned, I haven't written it but I must have said it A 1,000 times and Lou is correct - passed at the time cause I only collected factory ported Marlins. Dang, Dang, Dang.

1895gunner

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wind... Since your Cowboy likes .380 what does your barrel slug at? Mine (slugged .380) does not like .380 (too much leading). I think I need to move up to .381.

I poured through the WD260 thread again the other night. It just kind of ends without fanfare after WD's mould was contaminated. I am assuming you still like the boolit?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey there Scott -- Yes indeed. That particular 40 rounder is set up for silhouette matches. Four sets of flat critters and four rows of ten cartridges. I can see at a glance if I have the rifle loaded correctly.

I use wooden loading blocks on the bench as I can't stand the staggered plastic units. I find them ugly and confusing. I like loading trays in combinations of 20 or 50 - depending on the cartridge boxes that need filling. Here are a couple of mix and match that achieve those ends...

View attachment 100595 View attachment 100596

Often times here the range blocks are used for load testing. Generally in 20 round increments...

View attachment 100598

I make up tags that fit the slots with the load information and they tuck into a series of cartridges. Leave a blank row and do the label for the next batch...

View attachment 100599 View attachment 100600

No tape needed and they don't blow away. Once the last round is fired, I'll notate the target, take a picture of things, and then on to the next test...

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey there TB -- Wet Dog replaced the damaged mold with a new one. We might have to look into putting some more information in that sticky. I adore the bullet and had a mold made for my rifle. I can't remember what exactly my bore slugged as it was several years ago. Wet Dog's rifle prefers the .381" diameter and shoots multiple hundreds of rounds with no leading issues. Same with mine. They all seem to have their own preference. Yesterday the 1893 liked the unsized bullets but accuracy fell off out at 650 yards. The 336 on the other hand smacked that 650 yard dinger (a lot!) with the normal .380" bullet. Tom at Accurate has that mold in his line-up now. I have to shorten my brass to 2.100" to accommodate it in the 336 Cowboy.

View attachment 100603

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wind..

As an engineer, I appreciate your attention to detail, especially those loading blocks! I wish I had your patients.

I may have to take a closer look at that WD260 mould.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Hey there TB -- Wet Dog replaced the damaged mold with a new one. We might have to look into putting some more information in that sticky. I adore the bullet and had a mold made for my rifle. I can't remember what exactly my bore slugged as it was several years ago. Wet Dog's rifle prefers the .381" diameter and shoots multiple hundreds of rounds with no leading issues. Same with mine. They all seem to have their own preference. Yesterday the 1893 liked the unsized bullets but accuracy fell off out at 650 yards. The 336 on the other hand smacked that 650 yard dinger (a lot!) with the normal .380" bullet. Tom at Accurate has that mold in his line-up now. I have to shorten my brass to 2.100" to accommodate it in the 336 Cowboy.

View attachment 100603

Man those bullets sure are purty! I don't think you guys ever mentioned where you get your lead supply from. I think the old way of pickin wheel weights has about all dried up! Most aren't even lead anymore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.