Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone can help me. I have a marlin 39a that I am trying to restore. No one seems to know very much about it. From the s/n #B73## it come up to be a 1940/ 1941 I think. I am also looking for a rear stock and an arm stock.... someone help please

·
Registered
64 Posts
The correct buttstock for a 1941 rifle is a pistol grip style and does not have flutes on the comb. The correct forearm is the beavertail style. Both the correct buttstck and forearm will be very difficult to find. The only place you might find either will be ebay or a person or business that sells genuine used Marlin wood. You will find many buttstock offerings online but they will all have flutes on the comb and that is not correct for your rifle. You could fit them to your rifle and they will work but they will not be period correct.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What do you mean by flute style and beaver tail??
The easiest way is for you to look at a quick video. Open this link
and stop it at the 25 second mark. The top rifle has flutes in the comb, the bottom one doesn't. If you want to see how flutes are made, watch the video. The correct buttstock for a 1941 Marlin 39A does not have flutes. Marlin did not add flutes to the 39A buttstocks until 1951. Beavertail forearms are significantly flatter on the bottom than the perch belly style which is much more rounded.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Welcome from Northern Michigan,good luck! Post picture pictures when done,worthy project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts