Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all the marlin lovers there. I just found the Marlin Owners website, go figure. A little background: My first rifle was a 336C in 30-30 which I bought new in 1984. I used it for deer and hogs but eventually sold it when I became more "sofisticated". What a mistake! Eventually I owned a 45-70 straight grip with tang sight. Which again I sold. Stupid.
Finally a friend of mine gave me a 1961 Marlin 336SC with checkered Montecarlo stock and equiped with a Williams adjustable peep sight. The action was super smooth and the rifling in excellent shape. A well used and cared for rifle. As it turned out, the rifle was given to my friend by a hunter named Charlie Springer. Charlie lived west of West Palm Beach in the swamps and he made a living out of hunting panthers both for bounty and on request of ranchers in the everglades! This rifle was his last and he used it until the poor panthers were nearly wiped out of Florida.
This revived my interest in the marque so I bought a 1895 in 45-70 which I love. Now I also own a 1970, 444 rifle with 24 inch barrel which I just got.
I have been looking at the Skinner Express sights (www.skinnersights.com) which I like and would like to know if anybody outhere has installed one of them in their rifles and any comments about them.
Thanks a lot.
JC

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Where are my manners welcome from Western Washington Sorry Panther didn`t mean to be rude

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Welcome from Missouri!

Have a Skinner "Express" mounted on my 336 30-30 and I LOVE it! You may or may not end up with a new front post since it adds some height but that seems to be on a per rifle basis. Andy is a class act to deal with so if you have any issues he will get you squared away.

Good luck!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are my manners welcome from Western Washington Sorry Panther didn`t mean to be rude
You were not rude. Just concise and to the point. Do you have one of them sights? Any problems with the stock front sight height?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Hello and welcome from Georgia. I have the regular Skinner sights, but the Express is certainly more elegant. There is some beautiful land between WPB and Punda Gorda. The old 90 mile prairie.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! John

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Welcome to MO, from New York.
Pull up a chair and stay awhile, we like to talk guns, and sights and reloadin and scopes and sights and critters and bullets, heck we even like to talk guns and :flute: :biggrin:

Shinner sights are Awsome, im getting the Express for my 336 Texan, it will need a taller front, but Andy has his formulas all worked out and he is a top notch guy to work with.
Bottom line, Skinners are AWSOME.....

Enjoy
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi and welcome from Bundaberg, Australia.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
welcome from nova scotia

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Panther!

Love the story behind your interest in Marlins. That would be an interesting post perhaps in a General Forum, "What started your interest in Marlins"

Anyway! Glad to have you aboard, welcome to MO and if I can be of any assistance in the sight department, please let me know. Always glad to help.

Andy

·
Registered
19,770 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the welcoming remarks! Regarding the Skinner Sights I went ahead and ordered one for my 45-70. I see that the are Marlin fans as far away as Australia (moofy07)! For years I had the desire to hunt a Water Buffalo there. Will see if it becomes a reality in the near future!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello Panther!

Love the story behind your interest in Marlins. That would be an interesting post perhaps in a General Forum, "What started your interest in Marlins"

Anyway! Glad to have you aboard, welcome to MO and if I can be of any assistance in the sight department, please let me know. Always glad to help.

Andy
Andy makes a fine sight. I had a loaner Skinner on my 336 and will be ordering mine soon. I can sight in much more quickly with the Skinner than the semi buckhorn and get much tighter groups. I must confess that 4 years of USMC infantry training with apertures may have made my abilities biased toward that style sight.

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts