Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all here a newbie here in Alberta Canada. I just picked up my new 45 70 GG laminate blued. Did a little shooting and found as some have here that I have the wrong leaf ramp under the buckhorn, and cant raise the sights high enough to be on at 40 yards, so I guess i need to get that fixed. LOL

I am so happy with the amount of info here on the site and great people that are on here. I am an old reloader from the past, 270 wtby mag, and 300 win mag, and 308, 15 years ago, so this cal is new to me.

Ridgerunner you are a wealth of info, you and the guys that chime in. This 45 70 seems like it has a lot of data, in alot of different places for reloading. I liked the whole different case capacity thing, as hodgeden soesnt list a difference for rem or ww brass.

So I could use some help to start out please. I have:

Remington brass
WW primers large rifle
reloader 7 powder as no 4895 could be found
Hornady 350 FN
Remington 405gr FN
Probably start with the 350s as I dont have the lee crimp die yet.
Thank you to all that reply with some good data as I have the new Hornady manual so far.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Hi and welcome to MO. Sounds like you are off to a good start. You can also take
advantage of the on-line Hodgdon Reloading manuel. Good luck!

·
Banned
20,300 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hope that GG has a nice recoil pad. RL 7 can have a little kick to it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like you're low, not high... shouldn't you be high at 40yds???
I always shoot 25yd first then reach out down range. For my ballistics it's:
25yds +0.9
50yds +1.8
100yds +1.4
125yds 0.0
150yds -2.2

·
Registered
314 Posts
I find it is hard to beat 50 grains of IMR 3031 with a Speer 400 grain bullet. It will give you around 1700 fps and is very accurate. This load will take anything you are likely to run up against. Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts