Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a friend who is from Australia, married an American & lives in Northern CA.
She is looking for some recipes to cook for her hubby, who hails from Seattle area.
Are there any unique dishes from your corner of the world that I can pass on to her?
Any would be appreciated!

Deb

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, anything with salmon, hazelnuts, apples, berries...the Northwest is famous for all this stuff. Greg Atkinson (nothing to do with the Atkins diet) is probably the best source of information on Northwest cuisine--you can google him; he's got several books out that are worth reading just for his prose.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
1Shotstopper said:
Have a friend who is from Australia, married an American & lives in Northern CA.
She is looking for some recipes to cook for her hubby, who hails from Seattle area.
Are there any unique dishes from your corner of the world that I can pass on to her?
Any would be appreciated!

Deb[/quote

Clean a couple dozen razor clams, egg wash, and coat with cracker crumbs seasoned with a little salt, pepper, and garlic. Fry in a cast skillet with a liberal amount of garlic butter. Serve with a pile of fried potatoes and onions....Jake

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Any good salmon recipe. Or clams or oysters.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Salmon ala cast iron pan...take fresh salmon filets, clean and skin.

Make a glaze from mayo, mixed with finely minced garlic, shaved lemon peel salt and pepper to taste.

Chop almonds, dried onion, and cracker crumbs, mix, and place on a plate.

Heat an appropriate sized cast skillet to moderate heat, and reduce garlic butter, and the juice of two limes.

With a butter knife spread your glaze on both sides of your fillets, and coat with the nut crust.

Bring your butter to a temp, that is hot , but not hot enough to burn. Fry your fillets for three minutes per side, or until the meat is flakey.

Serve with a good white wine, and lots of fried taters and onions.

As for oysters, shuck, clean, chill to 33 degrees and serve with hot butter and lemon, surely no one would want to cook an oyster!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow!! Thanks for the great ideas! I will certainly pass these on!

Did a google on Atkinson, RC, he seems very interesting to read! Might have to purchase one of his books for myself!

I'm jealous, too, as we don't have the opportunity for some of that fabulous seafood! :(
We have the fresh/frozen-thawed-previously frozen (who knows what) stuff.

Thanks again!!!

Deb :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I love reading his books, he wrote a little essay on blackberries that almost made you taste them. I haven't really tried his recipes because I'm not capable of following recipes, but he cooks very much the way I do and I've gotten a lot of inspiration from his books.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey RC....ya got that ported auto pointed in the right direction finally.... :D

how are my truffles coming, for the second time..??

we're elbow deep in moose meat here all cut n' wrapped... and putting sockeye in cans....next up is dungies and shrimp

·
Registered
543 Posts
What kind of car is a ported auto?

I just got a bunch of salmon from WF and I'm making salmon fettucini for dinner tonight.

Your truffles will have to wait until I can get to town. I really dislike driving on the Parks Highway but I need to go in sometime in the next few weeks.

Fred Meyer in Wasilla appears to be the last bastion of the mullet. I wish they had a Zoupan's here; that's my happy place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
geez.... ported auto is the firearm in your avatar, I'd have thought you would have at least known what that was in your avatar prior to stealing it outta my photobucket....

thats a lotta excuses about cooking ingredients...but Iam used to that as you know...

lucky you on receiving a care-package from WF......that reminds me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts