Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far away from the Kalispell area do you live? I graduated high School in Libby, MT- up near Troy and the Idaho state line.

I read the buffalo hunting link you posted. I have a question about their fees, maybe you'd know. The fee they post for hunting cows and young bulls- Is that hunting them only- or the price of those hunts in addition to the $1695 they ask for the trophy bull hunt? I guess what I'm getting at is- can I shoot a young bull for the $700 they charge on a one day hunt?

I'm visiting my mom in Bonners Ferry, Idaho next summer, and would love to drive down to Gold creek and harvest a freezer full of meat for her.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Skippy

I live in an area called the Evergreen on the east side of Kalispell.

I'm going to call Gold Creek Hunts up, because they have along the fence line showing to I-90 that bison hunts starting at $300.00 This I imagine are for a 2 yr old cow. But I am gonna call them none the less... I like the fact that they are huntable 365 a yr.

Now, I want to find out what shot placement they use. Several places want a head shot right behind the ear only, and others will allow heart lung shots which I prefer since the area is a larger target.

I plan on using my 45-90 Sharps for this one, unless I have my 1885 Highwall by then also in 45-90 with a 510-gr Elk Buster that has been redone and cast 30:1 I have some real hard cast ones that will plum go through both shoulders breaking them down.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Skippy1 said:
I read the buffalo hunting link you posted. I have a question about their fees, maybe you'd know. The fee they post for hunting cows and young bulls- Is that hunting them only
I spoke with Kim Summers tonight, and he stated that a cow hunt for the cows being culled is done from more of an enclosure area. Not a fair chase hunt like the trophy bulls are. Once the cow is killed, then it is gutted out by them unless you feel frisky and want to smell like an old time buffalo skinner (yuck) gotta remember that the old buffalo skinners were not even alowed in certain areas of some towns back then. Well anyways, the bison cow is then loaded into the back of your vehicle, prefer it to be a truck of some kind cuz, I don't think you want a cow bison on the roof of your car. Then you haul, to the meat processor and they will remove the head and hyde for you.

Or the price of those hunts in addition to the $1850 they ask for the trophy bull hunt?
The Trophy Bull is seperate and are set out several days prior to your hunt. Again the price of the trophy bulls are seperate from the cows.

I guess what I'm getting at is- can I shoot a young bull for the $700 they charge on a one day hunt?
The differant hunts have to be schedualed in advance so if your wanting to shoot a $700 cow or bull, you have to schedual that with them. I'm going to be checking back with them, and if in the area again, I will be stopping in on the ranch, just to check things out for myself.

I told Kim Sommers that I would rather hunt or shoot a bison here in Montana than having to run over to the Sand Hills of Nebraska, or go to one of the other bison hunting ranches that I know.

[/quote]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts