Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an "E" marlin, 24". Have not seen it yet. Question for you. When were the first Marlins drilled and tapped for scopes? I know this has been discussed before but I don't recall.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
They were first drilled and tapped in 1956

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of that . This one, 1948, has apparently be D and T'd. Oh well. Thanks for the answer.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
In one of my friends old Marlin catalogs from around 1951 or so, you could send your rifle back to Marlin and they would drill and tap it for $3.00.

I passed up a pretty good 336A last fall because it had been drilled and tapped it was an H prefix.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Big Med,

I bought one because it was drilled and tapped. I already had an "H" that is about 98% not D & T'd and came across one that had been. I call it my .35 XLR and plan to scope it and check out how the LeverEvolution ammo performs in it.

Should be interesting. I need some 2 piece bases because the D & T job is obviously aftermarket and not to spec.

Will put a 2-7x33 VXII atop it and then post a pic.

SS

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Sidespin said:
Big Med,

I bought one because it was drilled and tapped. I already had an "H" that is about 98% not D & T'd and came across one that had been. I call it my .35 XLR and plan to scope it and check out how the LeverEvolution ammo performs in it.

Should be interesting. I need some 2 piece bases because the D & T job is obviously aftermarket and not to spec.

Will put a 2-7x33 VXII atop it and then post a pic.

SS
Can you cut a weaver style base to make it fit?

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I think they started in late 55. My 336 is a 1955 & drilled & tapped.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Leverdude said:
I think they started in late 55. My 336 is a 1955 & drilled & tapped.
It is possible. In Brophy's book he said it was 1956 ..but 50years from now, people will be looking for those 480 Rugers that were cataloged in the Marlin catalog wondering why they can't find one. I was right around that 1955-56 era that they started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts