Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to check on all the fine folks here at MO and make sure you were all alright. See, I was shooting my ported 1895G today and I know those evil ports are responsible for everything from deaf kids to ED to botchulism so I just wanted to be sure no one here had any maladies from my time at the range. I think the most significant effects are generally contained to a 150 mile or so radius.

I'm one of the fortunate few on the planet who was born with the gene that produces the portitus unaffectium enzyme so I don't suffer the ill effects. But I know I'm among a rare bunch and am always concerned about those who lack the gene.

;D ;D ;D

Had some nice 25yrd groups today and a couple decent 50 yarders but nothing I'd send in for the Postal Match. It was cold and I couldn't focus well at all. I do need to install a new front sight to pair up with the Skinner I pulled off of my 336SS and put on this gun. It is shooting about 6" high at 25 yards. I might try to rescue the Lyman 17A I mildly messed up and use it. I bought it as an experiment for my 336W project and really liked it matched up with the Skinner. But I thinned the dovetail a bit too much and it was a tad sloppy for my liking. I have some ideas...

Still a fun morning spent at the range with my oldest daughter. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
If the 17A isn't too sloppy red locktite will hold in place well. Don't use the blue it holds too good if at some point you want to remove it. Oh and I am all right too, the blasts from the ports didn't get here, of course I'm almost in North Dakota.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Howdy Erik. Glad to "hear" you had a good time with the daughter and ported wunder gun. I'm not sure I would know how to react to a non-ported rifle anymore for I have crossed the line into a ported world.

It will warm up soon I hope for ya. Our daughter and I will be heading to the range again tomorrow morning, we've been having a great time. I know you have too.

BTW, I noticed my holy grail (1894CP) finally made it onto Gun Broker today. Problem is I'm out of gun money for the time being.

Stay well buddy.

P.S. "portitus unaffectium enzyme", I gotta remember that one.......

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,821 Posts
Word has it there were reported gun reports being heard down in Fond Du Lac to the south of me. Gov't trying to cover it by saying it wasn't gun reports, by sonic booms from a training mission out of the Madison area! A likely story, but I know the truth!! Mr fixit ;) ;) ;D

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
We getting close to may 18th I thought it was Mt Saint Hellens again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What a great spring day to shoot! Sounds like you and your daughter had a great time.

Speaking of ported, Cabelas has a used ported 1895, JM proof but I couldn't find a serial number...this make sense? Matt

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ha! So that's what I heard all the way down here in Eugene. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Responsible for E.D. ???

Whew!!.........glad I don't have any ported guns... ;D

·
Registered
171 Posts
I didnt hear anything... but I MAY have felt the Earth torque over a little bit.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Eli, was that around two in the afternoon (DST)? We felt a mild tremor around that time here in northern Michigan. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Ya know Erik If you stuffed lead shot into those ports you could shoot Deer and Ducks at the same time. ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts