Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Lotsa Love ;)--would be very curious if there's any bore left in it--judging by outward appearance I'd guess the inside was abandoned also.

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
The current bid is only at ~$110. The wood looks solid, the wood to metal fit looks really good, the metal might clean up okay (but won't have much of any patina to it), and I reckon it is a shooter, judging by the amount of use it appears to have had. I could definately see a nice oil finish on that Walnut to bring it back to a life of luster, and the steel would be easy enough to buff the rust (and refinish, depending on how it looks after getting cleaned up). A nice blue job would make it look near new.

And, since it is chambered in a proper caliber, it does get a guy to thinking. ;) ;D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Ya know, if I could walk in a shop that had this rifle, dicker a bit and look down the bore, I might think about it.

On line, a seller with only 18 feedbacks who says he prefers credit card over the phone.... well, lets say I'm cautious.

I just now went back and look at the feedback. It's all positive and it's all feedback from buyers so he's not some guy who bought a few things and now is selling something. Looks like maybe it's a new business just started this spring as first feedback is March 2011. I'm feelin' better about it now.

Still, I'd want to handle it.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
This thing is like a prime candidate for a restoration, so I put a bid in on it. To make it worth while it will have to come cheap. Even if the bore is shot, it would still be a candidate for a rebore or rebarrel. Here's a chance to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. We shall see what we shall see.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Doc & Brian--

Here's another that's even scoped--same auction site--auction # 245233211--maybe get em' both and make one good one. I was really thinking about this one--but--funds are totally depleted right now.

Gotta hurry on this one.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
This is one that I definitely would pass on.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Brian in FL said:
This is one that I definitely would pass on.
That's kinda what I thought--not even any wood to work with.

Steve

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If one's time is worth anything and he cares about how his gun looks (and most folks here, at least, do have pride in that regard); then he'd be better off to walk away from that little "jewel". That's not a very old gun, and it has been grievously abused; and you can bet that any gun being maintained in that fashion on the outside, has received even less attention on the inside. In my area I can buy a 85-90% Marlin lever for $250; time you add shipping and FFL transfer fees to the deal, this ain't no bargain.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Like I said before, if one can get this for the right price, it would be a challenge to restore this uncared for thing into a useful rifle. It's beat up Marlins like this one that cry out for help. I'm betting that all it needs is to have the stock refinished and to have her reblued. Besides, she's a .35 Remington. That has to count for something. In any event, I feel compelled to try to bring this Marlin back to life. I think she deserves that.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope nobody else bids and you get it. I'm with you, bore's probably OK. Just needs some cosmetics and you'll have a nice one.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
When you said rebarrel, the first idea to pop into my head was a 38-55 project...

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
looks like a good gun for a project like member earplay has going. maybe some ramline and duracoat with a 16.25" barrel and a scout scope. just my thoughts. lee

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Brian in FL said:
Like I said before, if one can get this for the right price, it would be a challenge to restore this uncared for thing into a useful rifle. It's beat up Marlins like this one that cry out for help. I'm betting that all it needs is to have the stock refinished and to have her reblued. Besides, she's a .35 Remington. That has to count for something. In any event, I feel compelled to try to bring this Marlin back to life. I think she deserves that.
ALL MARLINS DESERVE A GOOD OWNER! Marlins are like pets. Care for them and treat them good and they won't let you down. Brian I hope you get it and make her better.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Someone shoulda told the the owner bein' a truck gun don't mean drug behind the truck. Hope ya win her Brian, she needs someone to care. DP

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
"ALL MARLINS DESERVE A GOOD OWNER!"

But does that also apply to Remlins?

And in that regard, for the same money I'd choose that piece of crap beater 35 Marlin over any Remlin I've seen thus far; just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Good luck and I hope you get it Mr Brian. :)

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Dave Bulla said:
When you said rebarrel, the first idea to pop into my head was a 38-55 project...
I never thought of that, but it just might be the way to go with this one. I don't have a .38-55 yet, and it's on my wish list. Thanks for mentioning it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Probably outshoot a new one? I've seen even pitted bores shoot well.
Steve

1 - 20 of 47 Posts