Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,which lube sizer should I be considering for doing 45-70 bullets.You know the routine,pros, cons and whatever else you can think of. I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
For Marlin MG? None, or I am using a custom 460 Lee push thru just to true up the lube.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
The RCBS or Lyman will both do fine!

I have both.

My mold maker recommended that I first cast my fresh and water quenched 465gr Wife Flat Nose bullets in a push through style .460 (made by Buckshot on the Cast Boolits Forum). I seat the gas checks at the same time, then go back at some later time and using the RCBS or Lyman sizer/luber with a .461 die (also made by Buckshot) apply the lube.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Lyman, RCBS & Saeco all make good sizers/lubers
you won't go wrong with either

Reactions: russell4570

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have both and for ease of use I tend toward the Lyman. It's easier to fill with lube and the ratchet wrench used for applying pressure is more convenient than the sliding bar used on the RCBS. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
AS chsparksman indicates, the sliding handle on the RCBS tool is poor.

So, I drilled a hole in the end of the lube reservoir pressure rod and brazed short piece of a Allan wrench into the rod and now use the same ratchet wrench on both the Lyman and RCBS. Solved that problem and it works for me!

By the way, both tools use the same sizer dies.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RCBS or Lyman will both do fine!

I have both.

My mold maker recommended that I first cast my fresh and water quenched 465gr Wife Flat Nose bullets in a push through style .460 (made by Buckshot on the Cast Boolits Forum). I seat the gas checks at the same time, then go back at some later time and using the RCBS or Lyman sizer/luber with a .461 die (also made by Buckshot) apply the lube.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
I am starting to lean towards the Lyman 4500. Is Buckshot easy to get ahold of.I see that Lyman and RCBS only go to .459 on the sizer dies so I guess if I want my bullets to be .460 then I will have to contact Buckshot.Is that correct? Why do you go to .461? My bore dia. is .4575 Please forgive me,I am still trying to get a grip on the sizing part of it and what to order.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Static Line,

Remember that my bullets are first sized in a .460 Push through style (not a Lee) die while the die used for the lubing is the .461.

The larger die is used in the last step to prevent disturbing the surface hardness from the water quenching and ageing, and can be done most any time, while the push through sizing and gas check seating is done hopefully within 24hrs of casting/quenching.

So, the bullet size will be the .460.

Yes, just look for Buckshot on the Cast Boolit forum name list.

My mold maker said to age a minimum of 7 days with 14 being better. He also said that he tested bullets with less then 7 days of aging and the hardness tester said they were good to go. The problem was, his rifle told a different story.

Bruce was so well on with everything he recommended that I just didn't feel like messing with success.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CDOC,
Yours,certainly sounds like a good process but a few questions still arise in this head of mine since not being at all familar with the equipment yet.Your mention of a .460 push through style die(not a Lee) could not be used in a Lyman 4500 or RCBS Lubeamatic,or can it? Are you using a Star to do that or some other piece of equipment that I am not yet aware of?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CDOC,
I went over to the Castboolit site and posted a question in the cast bullet equipment section.I also di a little research and ended up back in 2009 and 2012 and it was mentioned that Buckshot no longer does the work, although things may have changed since then.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Ooooooops!!!!!!! Sorry Static line, didn't mean to leave you hanging!

My push through die is used in my single stage loading press.

The die fits the press, and the push through pin fits the shell holder.

So together, they go into the single stage and allow the fresh bullet to be "pushed through" the die. Put the bullet in at the bottom and it comes out the top.

I also seat my gas check at this time.

Then the next step is done with the Lyman or RCBS sizer/luber with a properly sized die of typical design.

Sorry, hope that makes things a bit more clear.

I could take photographs and send them to you by way of your personal "E" address if that would help. Have yet to figure out posting to the forums (need a 4 year old to help), but I can send images directly to an "E" address.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooooooops!!!!!!! Sorry Static line, didn't mean to leave you hanging!

My push through die is used in my single stage loading press.

The die fits the press, and the push through pin fits the shell holder.

So together, they go into the single stage and allow the fresh bullet to be "pushed through" the die. Put the bullet in at the bottom and it comes out the top.

I also seat my gas check at this time.

Then the next step is done with the Lyman or RCBS sizer/luber with a properly sized die of typical design.

Sorry, hope that makes things a bit more clear.

I could take photographs and send them to you by way of your personal "E" address if that would help. Have yet to figure out posting to the forums (need a 4 year old to help), but I can send images directly to an "E" address.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Lol,I know what you mean about a four year old being smarter then us old guys.The only reason I even have a computer now is because when I was in Best Buy,a 15 year old called me computer ilitterate( spellig) because I asked him how to work the mouse so I could play the game he was playing on one.When the salesman came around and asked me if I needed any help,I said yes and picked out a computer right in from of that kid.I didn't know that you had to buy this and had to buy that so the next thing I knew was I had all this junk in front of me that I just paid $2000.00 for and didn't even know how to plug it in.I can do emails though and I'll send you a private message so you can send me pictures.That would be great.Looks like the old Rock Chucker will get some use after all.I am understanding things better now. I went buy a friend's auto repair shop today and he gave me a 5 pound bucket full of wheel weights.....free. Looks like I'll have to break out the old dutch oven and melt it all down after learning how to tell the difference between lead,zinc and steel.I know what steel is because I worked most of my life with it,but zinc,that is a new dog to play with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.