Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Enjoyed it thoroughly! It was Elmer Keith's writings that got me thinking about a Whelen back in the early 80's. Later, as a student in Bible School, Craig Bottington's moose kill with the 700 Classic and the 250 soft nose did it for me, but I had no money! Then I began reading after Gary Sitton, who really pushed the .35 Whelen Ackley Improved ( I am a sucker for Ackley Improveds!) I was also enthralled with the 9.3x62 but it was still too exotic for me to pursue. Still, my Douglas barreled Mod 70 Featherweight in 30.06 and the new Federal High Energy 180 partition was a real killer on mule deer/elk, initially purchased to ream out/rebore to a Whelen Imp, and I developed an affinity for it, so put the Whelen project on hold.
Later in life, late '94, I had the opportunity to go to South Africa on business, with a 4 day plains game hunt at the end. I initially was going to use my 30.06 and the Nosler 220. I then came across a like new 1988 700 Classic in the used gun rack. Yes! I immediately got it and had it rechambered to the AI, and loaded it to 2550-2600 with the old style Barnes 250X. It would push them faster, but why? And my pressures were low in the Improved case.It ruined me for life, it was just that good! ha.
I only recovered 2 bullets, both from lengthwise shots on zebra/kudu, all the rest were broadside shots; in total I shot Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Gemsbok, the Zebra & Kudu with the AI. I shot a Blesbuck/Impala with my friends 300WM & 180X, and a Warthog with his .375H&H w/270X. I went back for 3 more hunts/used the Whelen AI on one w/the 200X on zebra(at 250yds) and a Black Wildebesst at 347yds), same results, all pass throughs with big holes!! I used other magnums through the years, but overall, that AI and the 200X is my "go to" pardner! I also have a Model 750 carbine in standard Whelen for "the deer class", ha!
I used other big cartrides since, but for all-around, that old .35 is king!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
JMHO but the .35 Whelen does not need improvement. ;) Just ask my cow elk that I got last year. I've read where a couple of gunwriters who did the Acklet route said that they later regretted doing it. :eek: I've no quarrel with anyone who want to "improve" a cartridge. After all, it's what they want.
Me? I'll keep my whelens strictly stock. 8)
Paul B.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
You have to admit though, paul, that Ackley case is "one sexy beast",ha! I wouldn't do another either, not with the powders we have now and the great bullets available. However, that 310 Woodleigh gets 2300+ out of my 22" AI, and looks plumb deadly...I just need a circus elephant to run wild now... :)

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Paul B said:
JMHO but the .35 Whelen does not need improvement. ;) Just ask my cow elk that I got last year. I've read where a couple of gunwriters who did the Acklet route said that they later regretted doing it. :eek: I've no quarrel with anyone who want to "improve" a cartridge. After all, it's what they want.
Me? I'll keep my whelens strictly stock. 8)
Paul B.
Ain't a .35Whelen a .30-06 on steroids? ;D

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
[/quote] Yep, but the kind of steroids that cause "mutated results",ha. I like how big bullets work on big animals; they get that "OMG, I've been shot" look on their face! :-*

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
preacher said:
Yep, but the kind of steroids that cause "mutated results",ha. I like how big bullets work on big animals; they get that "OMG, I've been shot" look on their face! :-*
I fancy that look! ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts