Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I bought a Henry BB in.357. The only thing that I didn't like was the trigger pull of almost 8 creepy pounds. I wasn't very concerned because before I bought it I was aware of the biggest complaint about Henry's was the trigger and I have had no problem turning bad Marlin triggers to 2.5lb bump safe triggers. When I took apart the Henry I found out it was a whole different ball game.

The trigger return springs put about 4.5lbs of escalating pressure on the trigger pull. One spring is very light and only puts pressure on the trigger return the other actuates a toggle that that will only release the trigger when the lever is closed. I clipped a little less than on coil from the offending spring then stretched it to the original length witch brought the trigger return down to a little over 3lbs then I clipped a little more for a 2lb return pressure. This brought my trigger pull down to an even 5lbs with a little creep. My next step was to polish the seer and the trigger hook. When I looked at them under a 10x loop I could see that the casting had left small raises where they connect. You can put the hammer screw back in the trigger works and take a very good look on how they work with the trigger and hammer. I polished both the engagement surfaces, put it back together and the trigger pull measured 4.5lbs with a little creep. The hammer spring was so tight that it warped out of shape when cocked so before I did anymore work to the trigger I replaced the spring with a Palo Verde adjustable spring. When I finally got the spring adjusted to where it popped 60 out of 60 rounds at the range today the trigger pull was just over 3lbs still with a little creep. Still want to do a little mor work but I am happy with the progress so far.

The hardest part of this job was finding a stone that I could polish the hammer hook with. There is less than 1/4" of room between the hook and the other part of the hammer. My best friends on this job were my optivisor, a magic marker and two small knife edge stones.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts