Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if this can be safely accomplished on the Henry Single Shot. I know plenty have done so for the SB2 framed H&R/NEF Handi-Rifles. I cant seem to find a Handi-Rifle in .44 anymore. Not even GB. I figured I would have to go with the Henry but cannot find anything about anyone having done this mod yet.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I haven't heard of it being done, but since the same rifle is offered in 223, 243, and 308 I doubt there would be any issue, at least with the steel frame version. There's around a 10000 PSI increase over the 44 Mag with the Super Mag which runs very similar presures as the 30-30. If you don't get an answer from someone who has actually done it you might try calling Henry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does one run that risk when attempting any and all custom gun work.

Henry is just a means to an end in this instance being the only game in town for 44 singles.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I think the first task is to check with Henry to see what pressure the action is rated for. If it is well within the specs of 445 Supermag then you are okay. But don’t expect Henry to endorse your project as they will not due to liability especially if they do not produce it in 445. It’s just like me using a basic Ruger Blackhawk as a donor gun for a 500 Linebaugh build. I know the frame can handle the 500 and Ruger knows that we use their gun as the basic frame for such conversions but they do not endorse what we are doing.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
There's around a 10000 PSI increase over the 44 Mag with the Super Mag which runs very similar pressures as the 30-30. If you don't get an answer from someone who has actually done it you might try calling Henry.
Pressure specs taken from official SAAMI website:

SAAMI spec .44 Remington Magnum --- 36,000 PSI
SAAMI spec .30-30 Winchester --- 42,000 PSI

Not sure what the .445 Super Mag pressure spec is. I can't find any laboratory tested data.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts