Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I handled a few Henry Rifles a few years back, before they added the side loading gate. I don't know that the appearance is "A little bit Clunky". I own ALL Pre-Remington Marlin rifles and they all work great. If I were younger and had MORE MONEY, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Henry rifle. Stop complaining about cosmetics, HOW do they shoot?

Mike T.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything interchangeable.

I’ve owned over 20 jm Marlins and I’m down to 3, the only reason I have those 3 is because Henry hasn’t made me a 35rem yet without that stupid side gate.

The Henry’s are a better gun all the way around than a jm Marlin in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are you doing here? I have bought, sold, traded and kept more than 100 “JM” Marlin’s, not one new one, and only had to fix two that had feeding issues. One of them was just tightening the loading gate screw. My brother has three each Henry’s and Marlin’s and has sent two Henry’s back to them for repair. I’ll keep my Marlin’s and skip modern version of the Henry thank you. I will concede that my brother also bought a Remlin in .308 MX that had barrel droop. He sent it to a company known here for modification of Marlin’s to fix. He never shot it and traded it to me and now I have a rifle that is clover leafing at 100 yards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Comparing the Henry to the Marlin is like comparing Chevy and Fords. Each gun has its followers and I have both, that I will never get rid of. With Henry, I will add, When the 41 Mag Lever came out and was in such popular demand, I emailed Mr Anthony Imperato and he personally answered my email and within 2 weeks I had my 41 Mag in my hands. Pretty sure Marlin or now Ruger would not do that but will add too that except for the MK IV safety issue none of my Henry, Marlin, or Ruger guns have ever needed to go back to the factory.
I wish I could say the same. My Henry went back because the blueing had a run in it. I came back looking even worse, along with an added scratch. I sent it back again and had them replace the barrel, not reblue it. To be fair this was during the pandemic, but still should have never been shipped.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What are you doing here? I have bought, sold, traded and kept more than 100 “JM” Marlin’s, not one new one, and only had to fix two that had feeding issues. One of them was just tightening the loading gate screw. My brother has three each Henry’s and Marlin’s and has sent two Henry’s back to them for repair. I’ll keep my Marlin’s and skip modern version of the Henry thank you. I will concede that my brother also bought a Remlin in .308 MX that had barrel droop. He sent it to a company known here for modification of Marlin’s to fix. He never shot it and traded it to me and now I have a rifle that is clover leafing at 100 yards.
I guess that’s why multiple companies make similar products, for different people with different opinions…

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
I handled a few Henry Rifles a few years back, before they added the side loading gate. I don't know that the appearance is "A little bit Clunky". I own ALL Pre-Remington Marlin rifles and they all work great. If I were younger and had MORE MONEY, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Henry rifle. Stop complaining about cosmetics, HOW do they shoot?

Mike T.
I own three Henrys, a 41 mag, Steel model and a 44 mag. Bronze model.
Once I found the sweet spot in the loadings they as well as any other lever gun.
The 41 shoots the Cor Bon 250's in one ragged hole at 50, and the Underwood 265's are Very similar.
I get better groups from the 41 than I do my Marlin '06 Cowboy in 45 colt at same distances, heck the Rossi 45 colt holds it's own with the Cowboy it's self. o_O (y)

I like lever guns, I like the Marlins and own more of them than any of the other, but the Winnies are fine rifles too, and I own a few of them as well. Heck I even own a pair of Rossis.

I've never understood all the hate for the Henry, Hell at least it is made in AMERICA.

RP

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Sure, I would like to hear it. I cannot figure out why there is so much Henry activity on the Marlin forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well I'm a member of a Henry rifle forum, and believe it or not they even have an Other lever gun section. 🤔🤣

RP

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes and I don’t have an issue with that. And I don’t have an issue with Henry’s and the people that love them. I was just asking about all the Henry posts in the 336 section of the Marlin forum.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have two Marlins and a Henry. It seems Henrys are made to handle more abuse than Marlins. In fact, Henry stands behind its rifle forever. But, they typically costed a couple hundred more than a new Marlin. With Ruger taking over, there may not be that much of a price difference. My Henry seems a bit heavier than my Marlins. Maybe, that is due to the sturdier construction. In any case, I am happy with both my Marlins and Henry. If I was in the market for another lever gun, which brand would I prefer? That depends on the cost and look of the new Marlin. They all do about the same: go Bang! It a matter of taste, options, cost and construction. Warranty could play a role. It was a factor when I purchased a S&W over a Ruger last year. Yet, S&Ws seem light than a Ruger also, at least the ones that I have handled. For whatever reason, S&Ws seem more refined as well. But, that is just me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm sure the Henry rifles are good guns but I just can't get over the look and feel of them. You pick them up and although the action is smooth they just feel clunky. I ordered and X model but after seeing one(in another caliber)in person I cancelled the order, they just looked cheap.

I'll stick with paying the premium for Marlins.

·
Registered
459 Posts
OK, "speydude" never explained what was wrong with his Henry and why his "Henry" experience was so bad. I have many brands of firearms that include Henry and Marlin lever guns not to mention bolt actions, pumps, semi autos, single shots of many different brands. I like all of them, some way more than others. The one that fits me perfectly every time I take aim with it is my "Remington 870". Not bragging but it just lands in the right spot every time I shoulder it and I rarely miss with it. Wish I could do that with my deer rifles. I know this is a Marlin forum but I would like to hear his story even if it is long. Hope I did not step on any toes as that is not my intent. Happy Thanksgiving week end to all of you!

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wel I did write the title “Henry and Marlin” so it was bound to initiate some comparison discussions between those who own the two brands.I was curious as to thier similarities which are very numerous at first sight.Henry is also ,wether we like it or not ,the big boy on the lever block right now,as they are in production,available and they work well,for the most part.
I feel Marlin is the better looking old timer with a longer track record,and hopefully when Ruger kicks in full production they will regain thier dominance with a time proven design and well trained skillful workers building them. I like Henry’s,I just like Marlins more,I also like lever actions ,period,and would probably buy one of every available brand if I could. The Henry with the case hardened receiver is a good looking rifle but what I like best is the loop lever,it is by far the best looking big loop I have seen ,not overly large and obtrusive just big enough for more hand room I may make a loop for a Marlin like that! I hope both brands continue in happy competitorship,because that is what drives quality.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts