Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the newer Henry 30/30 is” very similar” to a 336 ( some would say “copy”)and I am curious as to parts interchangeability between them.I do not think they would ,nor would I recommend using parts between the two different rifles as there are as most of us know issues such as head space ,other safety issues and things such as proper fit that might just jam things up , however ,I am curious as to how close these rifles actually are and has anyone actually compared the parts ,part for part, side by side. I like the way JM Marlins look,Remington let it slip a bit ,to be generous,Henry has,mechanically,I have heard,at least done a great job with the design,but I find them just a bit” ungraceful “ in appearance,,blocky ,some might say.
Any other thoughts or opinions?

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Copied and changed enough to not be interchangeable.
Henry has, mechanically, I have heard, at least done a great job with the design, but I find them just a bit” ungraceful “ in appearance, blocky ,some might say.
Henry's are designed for automation in production. Straight lines are so much easier for machines.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clearly the Henry,little things add up,the front sight is large and squarish,I’m sure It works well but it sticks right out, and somehow the barrel appears as if chopped right off a pile of octagon stock and stuck right in place ,maybe it’s the way it and the feed tube are joined and maybe the bolt should be contrasting finish wise to the receiver ,but I could get used to it blued ,maybe as a Henry it should be gold or brass finished,it does not have the refinement of a JM Marlin,However,given the choice between a Remlin and a Henry ,I would go with the Henry,because they work and well.I personally think that had Henry bought Marlin they might Have done a great job .but then thier bringing out this very similar rifle would have been wasted money.I will have to see more of Ruger Marlins to see how they stack up .

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,633 Posts
I have to agree. A well made Marlin is way more aesthetic. A little clunky and unrefined.

Just grateful my beginning love affair with an 1894C .357 first year.

Just hope Ruger will do to Marlin as John did, as well as the other 'John' gun designer!

AC

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Henry stands behind their rifles and shotguns as long as they are on the planet. Try to get a Marlin fixed on the company's nickel and see how that works out. I own three Marlins that aren't remlins and two Henrys. When is the last time Marlin made a rifle with a color case hardened receiver? H.R.A. had absolutely no reason to "buy Marlin" they are selling all that they can make and there is a waiting list.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything interchangeable.

I’ve owned over 20 jm Marlins and I’m down to 3, the only reason I have those 3 is because Henry hasn’t made me a 35rem yet without that stupid side gate.

The Henry’s are a better gun all the way around than a jm Marlin in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Henry stands behind their rifles and shotguns as long as they are on the planet. Try to get a Marlin fixed on the company's nickel and see how that works out. I own three Marlins that aren't remlins and two Henrys. When is the last time Marlin made a rifle with a color case hardened receiver? H.R.A. had absolutely no reason to "buy Marlin" they are selling all that they can make and there is a waiting list.
Ruger had no reason to either,oh,except to sell them to make money. Ruger also is selling lots of thier own and everyone has waiting lists nowadays.Since Ruger did buy them ,they do obviously think they will make money on a great design,and probably bid the highest.Henry is a great company with a good product and great customer service who already seem to make very Marlinlike rifles, and do it well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Comparing the Henry to the Marlin is like comparing Chevy and Fords. Each gun has its followers and I have both, that I will never get rid of. With Henry, I will add, When the 41 Mag Lever came out and was in such popular demand, I emailed Mr Anthony Imperato and he personally answered my email and within 2 weeks I had my 41 Mag in my hands. Pretty sure Marlin or now Ruger would not do that but will add too that except for the MK IV safety issue none of my Henry, Marlin, or Ruger guns have ever needed to go back to the factory.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My friend Joe had personal experience with Henry’s customer service,it is beyond excellence and because of it I will probably buy one someday( I won one at a NRA dinner) but I will always consider the original JM Marlins rifles the best lever ever made,like cars and trucks, pre 80’s are my preference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
In my opinion the new Henrys look better with the added side loading gate. They did in the past resemble an oversized .22 with that magazine tube and no side gate. I think there are some advantages to the tube loading, but my eyes are accustomed to the look of Winchesters and Marlins. I guess a developed pre-conceived notion of how a lever gun SHOULD look! Still, wouldn't mind adding a Henry some day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought my first Henry (my wife has three. Not sure that counts)
I've always liked Marlins and have two.
They are both Remington made so not sure they are a good comparison. One 30.30 , 336W and a 336C in a 35 Rem.
Both shoot good and are generally asthetically pleasing. I put a Boyds on the 336W.
Wood Brickwork Brick Building Window

Wood Air gun Shotgun Machine gun Gun barrel

I had a wild hair for a 45-70 and was waiting for the new Ruger Marlins since used JM 1895's are so astronomically priced.
I (by accident) came across a new H010G Henry at my LGS and bought it that day.
The action is smooth and the fit and finish was very nice.
Again, not sure my Remington Marlins count.
They were produced apparently after most of the QC issues were resolved.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just bought my first Henry (my wife has three. Not sure that counts)
I've always liked Marlins and have two.
They are both Remington made so not sure they are a good comparison. One 30.30 , 336W and a 336C in a 35 Rem.
Both shoot good and are generally asthetically pleasing. I put a Boyds on the 336W. View attachment 865492
View attachment 865493
I had a wild hair for a 45-70 and was waiting for the new Ruger Marlins since used JM 1895's are so astronomically priced.
I (by accident) came across a new H010G Henry at my LGS and bought it that day.
The action is smooth and the fit and finish was very nice.
Again, not sure my Remington Marlins count.
They were produced apparently after most of the QC issues were resolved.
I traded into a BB All Weather in .45C and was very impressed by the "bank vault" feel of bolt lock. I soon after purchased a walnut & blue Henry 45-70. Same very tight feel with very smooth action. I do like the idea that there's no duplicate safety on a Henry.

I've owned over a dozen Marlins (only one in 30-30) and now have whittled it down to my two all-time favorites; a 336ER and a .444P fitted with a PG stock. I enjoy my two Henry's and my two Marlins along with two Winchester 94s, three BLRs, one Savage 99 and one Mossberg 464 brush gun.

It kinda feels good to be an equal opportunity owner and simply keeping the lever guns that suit me best 👍

Reactions: burzynsr

·
Registered
397 Posts
My friend Joe had personal experience with Henry’s customer service,it is beyond excellence and because of it I will probably buy one someday( I won one at a NRA dinner) but I will always consider the original JM Marlins rifles the best lever ever made,like cars and trucks, pre 80’s are my preference.
Good to know some people are getting good customer service from Henry. I've had about the worst experience with them than I've never had with anyone. So disgusted with them and my 44 mag carbine that I've only shot 10 rounds out of it in the year I've had it. I just dont have any respect for it. I'm probably going to send it back and tell them to keep it, it just takes up space.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts