Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
A single shot 30-30 would be an excellent platform to launch Speer's 150 Grain Gold Dot Bullets originally designed for the 300 Blackout. This one: https://www.speer.com/bullets/rifle_bullets/gold_dot_rifle_component_bullet/19-308150BLKGDB.html

It has a low minimum velocity threshold for expansion of 1600 FPS making ideal for the 30-30 (non-lever actions). A .463 G1 BC is a plus also. A 30-30 could launch one of these at 2400 FPS + or about 300 FPS faster than the 300 Blackout can.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Everything I have heard they have miserable triggers and have problems with the pivot pin not fitting. Check out the Henry forum. I have not bought one of their single shots but have recently bought a Big Boy Steel that is going back for a really bad bore though I have fixed the 7.5lb creepy trigger the accuracy starts to go after 20 rounds. I have also purchased a 24" barrel pioneer that is a great gun except for the fact that the lever is about 1/2'-3/4" from the stock when the closed. In my opinion Henry's initial quality is about the same as a remlin though Henry does a lot better job of fixing your problems faster. Like remlins I will never buy another one. This may sound like a rant against Henry but it is just what I have experienced and read from another forum.

·
Registered
249 Posts
This may sound like a rant against Henry but it is just what I have experienced and read from another forum.
Early Henrys were pretty good but the increase in problems seemed to parallel their massive increase in production starting about 2015.

They expanded their models and designs at a rate almost unprecedented by any other manufacturer and problems cropped up on nearly all models equally - with some problems so bad the gun should have never left the factory.

As stated triggers and pivot pins on the singles shots seem to be the top two complaints with some reporting almost a 1/4" of movement in the pivot pin which in all fairness sounds a bit excessive and I have never seen one personally.

With all due respect however My BBB .357 (2013 DOM) is excellent - wood to metal finish is on par with high grade guns and the action and accuracy is excellent however it will be my one and only Henry.

·
Super Moderator
11,667 Posts
Also looking at one of those or maybe a 45-70. I have had a couple of single shot 30-30s and they are a ton of fun.

·
Super Moderator
23,638 Posts
I bought a Henry 45-70 single shot and have been very pleased with it. Very accurate with 405 gr hard cast and IMR-4198. Haven't had any issue with the trigger or pivot pin after owning it for a little over a year. The trigger is OK--not excessively heavy and doesn't have grittiness or creep. Its definitely NOT a target trigger--but more than adequate enough for my hunting pursuits.

Reactions: TnHunter356

·
Banned
3,196 Posts
I must be missing something, ive got about 1/2 dozen 30-30's they are all lever guns they way they should be in my opinion. I guess I just have no interest in bolt action, pump or single shot in 30-30 unless it might be a savage model 24

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I have a new Henry single shot .30-30 and am enjoying getting to know it. I think of it as my COVID-19 impulse project. Cataract surgery is inevitable and possibly after the 2020 hunting season. So iron sights are a challenge. I have a set of Skinner sights on the Henry for now and am determined to see if I can get comfortable with them. That's a round about way of saying I am just getting a feel for this little rifle...and I like it. The simplicity appeals to me and the trim lines make it truly "handy" to carry and shoot. My hope is to use it the Fall for some of my hunting here in Montana.

First impressions:
Form, fit, finish, materials and workmanship all show excellent quality.
The hammer is a beast to pull back into "fire" but without a scope in the way its easy to get the leverage.
The trigger pull is stout, for sure. But it is smooth, without creep or staging, and breaks cleanly. I deal with that and "learn" it with practice.

This is my only experience with Henry products and so far I am pleased with the purchase.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I too have been considering a Henry .30-30 single shot to replace a well worn 219 Savage.
The Henrys I have seen at the shows have all been .45/70's, but if they are an indication of fit and finish I am impressed.
I have also been surfing the shows looking for a Handi-rifle in .30-30, but by the time I buy it and replace that pallet wood with some Boyd's I have spent what a Henry would cost.

Decisions,decisions......

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a Henry single shot in .357/.38. Shoots very nice groups, of course the magnums hit a different place than the .38 Specials. I bought a scope base but when I tried to mount a scope, the rear bell interfered with the hammer. Not sure what scope to get to solve this problem. I called Henry, the lady acted like I was the first person to ever ask that question, she had no idea how to help me, or interest. Gun is high quality as far as I can tell, I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I to own a Henry 357 single shot, wow! Crazy accurate, shooting 170gr cast GC, even with my eyes!! No the trigger isn't like any of my bench guns duh it's a short range deer gun and a fine one at that. The kids still make fun of me for choosing it over all the "better" guns I "should" use. I've taken two deer with it for less than 20 cents, plus had a bunch of fun out shooting them. I know off topic but I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Are you aware that H.R.A. has recalled ALL of the single shot rifles and shotguns. Don't take my word for it go over to the Henry Forum and see the post from the factory.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Seems Henry finally started to address the horrid trigger pull on their single shots and found a minor problem when researching how to make the trigger pull better. A better angle and some polishing of the trigger sear engagement I am sure would have helped with the heavy trigger thing.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
"with some reporting almost a 1/4" of movement in the pivot pin which in all fairness sounds a bit excessive"
That would require a hole 1/4" larger in diameter than the pin. To me that would require a very blind machinist. Just guessing but it was a bad conversion of a decimal to fractions.
I would probably get a TC Encore before the Henry. Cry when buying first. There just seems more options for calibers stocks and custom barrels.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just read this:

RICE LAKE, Wis., July 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Henry Repeating Arms Company announced that it is voluntarily recalling all H015-series Single Shot Rifles and Single Shot Shotguns manufactured prior to July 1, 2020. Henry has recently discovered a potential safety issue wherein, under certain conditions, it is possible that some of these models may discharge without the trigger being pulled if the hammer is partially cocked and released. To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, you should immediately stop using all H015-series Single Shot Rifles and Single Shot Shotguns and not load or fire them until they have been upgraded.

·
Registered
336 in .44mag, 336CS in .35 Rem, 336CS in .30-30 Win, Model 60 in .22 LR, 336C in 30-30 AI
10 Posts
Well, I was looking to purchase a Single in .357mag, and have the Selling Company ream it out to .357 Maximum, since I can no longer find a Handi Rifle chambered in .357max. Guess I'll have to get ahold of them and see if they are going to have to send their stock back for the recall first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts