Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Does anyone have experience with the Henry .17HMR Frontier model rifle? I have located one, but I am torn between it or finding a Marlin 39a Mountie w/ V prefix to go with my 39A V prefix. You just do not see many of the Henry .17 Frontier models, then again you do not see many V prefix 39a Mounties either? Which way to go?:hmmmm:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used one once when I was hunting sage rats. I was using a .22 all day when my guide said to try his Henry .17. At that moment I was forever hooked on the .17 HMR and had to purchase my own .17 before the next years sage rat hunt. I found the Henry to be fun and accurate out to 125-150 yards and it seemed to be a quality firearm.

Reactions: Remy103 and drjjpdc

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey all. Does anyone have experience with the Henry .17HMR Frontier model rifle? I have located one, but I am torn between it or finding a Marlin 39a Mountie w/ V prefix to go with my 39A V prefix. You just do not see many of the Henry .17 Frontier models, then again you do not see many V prefix 39a Mounties either? Which way to go?:hmmmm:
Well if you pass on the Henry, I would love the chance to buy it if you would care to pass the info on to me.
Thanks Dave

Reactions: Remy103

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have the 22 Frontier. So I'll give you feedback on the construction. The rifles are solidly built. The quality of the worksmanship is better than Marlin, even before the move. The heavy octagonal barrel is like shooting with a bull barrel. The action on mine was butter smooth right out of the box. The balance is excellent and the longer LOP in the Henry means it's sized for modern day people, not people from the turn of the century, (I'm 5'10").

Was originally looking for a Mountie. After getting the frontier and having had my hands on the Mountie, I'll stick with the Frontier. The Mountie is more collectible, but that's not what I was after. I wanted a smooth, accurate 22 with a 20 inch barrel for shooting.

·
Registered
317 Posts
A buddy of mine just got one a month or so back. He really likes it. Hard not to like a Henry.
I have 2 17hmr's but they're bolt actions. I love the accuracy and the fact that 17hmr ammo has been on the shelves since pre sandy hook. I have 2 Henry's , both .22 lr and love those smooth actions. I have plans on getting a Henry 17 hmr when they become available around here. Mostly .22lr and magnums right now.
It would be a hard decision between a 39a "v" and a frontier , but I go for the bird in the hand more often than not.
You'll enjoy both. (I know I would)

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you're looking for a shooter, you can't really go wrong with the Henry. I have a .22 LR H001T and a .22 LR H001. Both are smooth, accurate and have great looking wood. I also like the .17 HMR. My grandson has a heavy barreled bolt action Savage and it is amazing accurate. His best 100 yard group is .230" for 3 shots at 100 yards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.