Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the stickies, I must have missed something!
I lost a too small blank screw (I know, I know) on the side of my 1948 39A. No problem, I'll break it down to get to the backside of the hole.
Now, understand this rifle has been in the family since a few months after I was born in 48. I've seen it broken down once and that was decades ago.
Came apart no problem, and got the too small screw (I know, I know) out.
Now I cannot get it to go back together! I can get it close enough to start the takedown screw, but the hammer will only fall to halfcock and it doesn't want to cycle.
I know 336's well enough to deal with one in the dark, but I don't know 39A's!
Where should the hammer and lever be upon re-assembly!? Nothing like a taste of humble.....

Reactions: jim716 and F150Grrl

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I have it.
It's back together, cycles, hammer falls on the firing pin as it should. I had to use the takedown screw to pull the action together the last, maybe 64th of an inch. It is much stiffer than I remembered it being, but it has been several years since I last shot it.
I learned a long time ago to never force any mechanism to go together. But I had this thing apart and back together at least a dozen times before I got it here. I have oiled it profusely, and am letting it soak for awhile. There is no rust on the inside, but it looks like there has been a lot of file work done in the past. I'm betting I have a burr somewhere. This thing should cycle like ball bearings.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have it back together and it runs, but I'm worried about how tight it is.
If I have everything back in place and working as it should without having to force it, the action should eventually "work" its way back in, correct?
There were 2 screws that I tightened while I was in there, maybe they are having to "re-set
,maybe.
I would like to take it back apart and clean and lube all the insides, but I have become afraid......For some reason the 39 is frightening.

Reactions: jim716

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sometimes the take down screw makes a big difference in the ease of cycling. Try to loosen the screw a bit and then act as though you are going to take it down again. Just break the halves apart a little then tighten the take down screw again. Not as tight this time and see if it helps.
If that doesn't help try to tighten the take down screw a little more and you will probably find a sweet spot. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CUB!!!
That was it! Backed the takedown screw off maybe a 1/4 turn and now it's like silk!
Thanks a ton!! I am redeemed, thanks to you.

Reactions: 256WinMag
1 - 7 of 7 Posts