Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my first real Texan today, old model. It is at a LGS. I'm not real good at grading firearms but I would guess about 95%. He's asking $700 for it, does this sound fair? How do I tell if it's a real Texan?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It’s worth what you are willing to pay for it. I have a 72 saddle ring 30-30. $700 is high, but I wouldn’t take less than $600 for mine. So, it all comes down to if you want it to keep, not to sell and make money. If you are gonna keep it and use it for 30, 40, 50 years, paying a hundred or two more than ones worth won’t matter decades from now. But, I bet you can find one a lot cheaper than $700!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It's also about how much time and effort you want to put into finding another for less and how that equates to what that is worth to you also. I myself have a tendency to pay more on average as my time is limited and for now the extra money (10 to 15%) doesn't matter to me as much as I currently have it. That can always change so it's all relative in that sense.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That seems a bit high for my area but some people think JM stamped guns are made of gold. Might could get him down?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bough two Texans last year. A 1954 336 RC 35 rem a rare rifle took three years to find one paid all the money for it. 800.00 . Then 4 months later just happened to be driving by another local gun shop and to my surprise saw a really nice 1962 texan 30/30 with a price of 350.00 on it sitting on the shelf in great condition. So it’s a matter of what you find and what are you willing to pay for it.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
I got my '57 Texan in 35 Rem for 500 bucks. Its not mint but its in very good shape. That guy is asking too much for his Texan.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.