Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I have a fairly old .22 lever action , don't know anything about it , can see the serial number 49664, trying to find out it's age etc , can anyone point me I right direction, I've checked a couple of web sites , but got nowhere with this serial number Wood Water Tints and shades Vehicle door Shade
Wood Cylinder Gun accessory Office supplies Metal
Wood Material property Revolver Gun accessory Air gun

Hopefully we can get a date a definite model no
Thanks
Dave

·
Super Moderator
38,069 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.
Nice older model .22! I can't help you, but somebody will come along will know.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's a Model 1891 first model side loader, the first 5000 were side loaded, then the 32cal came out and they did away with loading gate and they became tube feed. They are scarce and worth a premium over the tube feed models

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excuse my total ignorance, so its a model 1891, but what is meant by first year ? Does that mean it made 1891 ?
Sorry I just don't know anything , but trying to learn , I've cleaned it and am amazed at its simplicity of design , works perfectly

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Welcome to Marlin owners from NE Indiana.

You are not ignorant just not educated on Marlins.

As you surf around the forum there a lot of sub forums with a ton of info.

That said here is one you can look at to find almost DOM.
There are others for the Remington produced and there will be more for the Ruger produced.

Reactions: Dave338

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to Marlin owners from NE Indiana.

You are not ignorant just not educated on Marlins.

As you surf around the forum there a lot of sub forums with a ton of info.

That said here is one you can look at to find almost DOM.
There are others for the Remington produced and there will be more for the Ruger produced.
Hi and thank you, I've looked at that link and would I be correct saying that serial number is 1891 date ?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Hi and thank you, I've looked at that link and would I be correct saying that serial number is 1891 date ?
Yes. Also there will be a test later on Marlin DoM.
BTW you passed the picture posting test with flying colors by having pics in your first post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. Also there will be a test later on Marlin DoM.
BTW you passed the picture posting test with flying colors by having pics in your first post.
Haha I hate tests lol ,, I've been on a few different sites and never found my serial number , so this one was a brilliant find ,
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their help , ill keep researching it , would like to know the history , how it came to the UK and was it a cheap gun in 1891 ,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice - leave her just as she is. How's the bore? That rifle has some history and deserves respect for the elderly! Mine's tube feed - yours is better.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was solid red rusty when I got it, I've took the rust off with electrolysis and wiped the grime of the stock , only waxed it , not had a camera in bore but I've wire brushed it through , and cleaned it , it is heavily pitted all over so not worth anything, but its a piece of history sitting on the wall , it does fire though!
I should of took before and after pictures!
Wood Knife Hunting knife Air gun Everyday carry

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Dave,
Marlins were not cheap guns, they were high quality and priced around Winchester, and other quality guns of the era. It is a Model 1891 and it was made in 1891. The serial numbers were all Marlin models, started with the model 1881, then 1888 and 1891 and soon after the 1892 an improved 1891.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been reading up on it and now see that the extractor is broken, is there anyone who makes new or breaks old guns parts
Fluid Finger Electric blue Thumb Glass

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Doesn't look broken, looks missing,I think Wisner's supplies replacements.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The tip is missing , good old ebay has come up trumps , new one ordered
??? the photo is not wonderful, but I'm pretty sure it is missing completely, that is the firing pin on the left,the extractor goes in the slot on the right.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts