Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Help with my new 45-70.

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  467CAV 
#1 ·
So there I was, mindin' my own business, and along came this beautiful 1895. She has one small problem though. Someone switched the buttplate for a pad and I'm looking to replace it with an original plate. I'm confused on what is the proper replacement. She was built in '78 with a straight cut stock that I don't think has been altered - the LOP is 14-3/4 now.
I've seen everything from a slightly curved plate to the white spacer. Who can help me find the right one?
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Wood Floor Wall Hardwood Tile

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This is my 1895 from '77 Air gun Wood Shotgun
Gun Rifle Shotgun Wood Air gun
Gun Rifle Shotgun Wood Air gun

Hopes this helps.

#8 · (Edited)
My 1895 Cowboy has a butt plate that is concave on the outside and flat on the inside (better to mount on a straight cut stock),

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Plywood

Another idea would a be a leather slip on recoil pad, because even moderate lever action loads can rattle your teeth, I put on a Tourbon slip on pad and it does moderate some of the recoil. https://www.amazon.com/TOURBON-Genu...580323&sr=8-1&keywords=rifle+butt+pad+leather if you decided on this pad 1895 takes a small.

Leather Fashion accessory

There others like the lace up https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-hand...580047&sr=8-3&keywords=rifle+butt+pad+leather

Leather Brown Coin purse Fashion accessory Bag

#9 ·
HIKayaker, that's one nice rifle ya got there! I believe mine with the straight cut is like onespeedbiker's. Anybody know where I can get an original (or repop) that has the straight front/curved rear shape. I want to make this as correct as possible. There is always the option of a slip-on over the buttplate.

#11 ·
Congrats on your 45-70,sorry i'm new to lever rifles can't help you with the butt plate.

#12 ·
So I was disappointed when I pulled the pad off and found that someone had sawed off the end of the stock and drilled a few holes. Presumably it had a curved end originally. Short of replacing the buttstock the repair was to install the concave plate. Not perfect but pretty nice. Thanks for all the help. You guys are great!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.