Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had my new model 60 out twice now, but I need some help. For me (I am an older guy with not so tough hands) that the bolt release is awfully sharp on the hands. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any useful tips on how I can make this easier on my hands. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Big Poppa Pump

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thanks guys. I just bought my daughter a Model 60 from 1984. We haven't even gone to the range yet. I'm going to surprise her with this charging handle.

·
Registered
540 Posts
except that doesn't help his bolt release problem. I believe he's talking about the release by the trigger guard which is small and narrow... As far as I know there's nothing I've seen done to it to make it flatter and "more comfortable"

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry I was not clear. thank you imaguy3, that is exactly my issue, the bolt release not the charging handle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I realized that as soon as I started reading the first couple of replies after mine, I'm sorry! I still want one of these though and looks like at least someone will benefit...

Not sure you can change the release without also modifying the stock where it fits through upon disassembly and reassembly for cleaning.

Have you tried wearing gloves, or maybe using the corner of the range table or something? I don't think that the release needs a whole lot of fiddling to push down so even just tapping it with the brim of an extra hat you have with you (NOT the one on your head), a pen, your wallet, whatever ought to do the trick?

Does anyone know, when the tube is loaded on an empty gun with the bolt in the last-shot-hold-open position, if the charging handle is pulled back and released, will it chamber a round and go into battery without ever using the bolt release at all? I always have followed the manual procedure of pressing the bolt release and then cycling the action with the charging handle but wonder if the bolt release step can be skipped.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is there possibly something wrong with your bolt release that is causing you issues? My wife complains about virtually everything when we go shooting - her hands are too cold (it's in the 50s), the charging handle hurts, the revolver is too hard to cock, etc...but I have never had ANYONE make a peep to me about the release being an issue. I am struggling to imagine this giving you more trouble than the small knurled charging handle, or the loading the tube.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sure it is possible, I only have fired about 250 rounds through this rifle. It might just be stiff, but, it has fairly sharp edges and seems unnecessarily small. I suppose I will get used to it and maybe it will work easier after the first 1000 rounds (assuming I can even find that much ammo).

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know this might sound a little extreme but ; Sell the newer model & buy an older model . Look for one with the charging handle release . I think with a little shopping around you can find a nice older squirrel stock version . Probably for no more than what you can sell the new one for .
Just a thought .
Al

Reactions: oldfart64

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is there possibly something wrong with your bolt release that is causing you issues? My wife complains about virtually everything when we go shooting - her hands are too cold (it's in the 50s), the charging handle hurts, the revolver is too hard to cock, etc...but I have never had ANYONE make a peep to me about the release being an issue. I am struggling to imagine this giving you more trouble than the small knurled charging handle, or the loading the tube.
Yep, I'd try another Model 60, to see how tough it is to use the bolt release. When I put my Boyds stock on my 795, it shortened the accessible length of the bolt release, but I have no problem with it. And I'm approaching oldfartland.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The bolt release tab sticking out of the trigger guard of one of my model 60's was a little sharper than the others, and like you I found that it was a little too sharp on the fingers. I filed and sanded the sharp corners and edges smooth to make it easier on the fingers, and hit it with some cold bluing. A lot more comfortable to press in now, and I'm an even older fart than you.

Trigger Wire Wood
Finger Close-up Technology Electronic device Glasses

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks marvlin, I appreciate it from one PNW oldfart to another

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.