Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys I'm still a newb to marlin 39s and have added a new one to my quickly growing collection. This one is an early model octagon barrel serial # 101xx. I took it out today to test fire and it is failing to feed. When I work the lever to feed the shell jams like its not lifting all the way to feed into the chamber. Like I said I'm still learning and need some help troubleshooting please. After initial test I took it back inside broke it down cleaned it completely and tried again with the same results.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
If there is a lot of play in the lever that causes failure to feed. Fix is to make a thin washer and put it under the head of the screw holding the lever.

Had to do that to two Mounties I had, likely the reasons I got both cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it does have a lot of side to side play, also just because I was curious I tried only shorts and it fed just fine....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I know about the high velocity, was only trying to feed standard velocity LR and shorts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried some remington golden bullets and also some cci mini mags just to see if they would feed. Unfortunately those are the only LR I have on hand and nobody has any others in stock. The shorts that fed were cci with the same nose as the mini mags.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Give the lever shim a try and let us know if that takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick question better to go with a nylon washer or steel? Just wondered if nylon would be ok just because it would be a lot easier to trim it to fit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright I shimmed the lever. It got rid of the play but still have the same problem. What's next?

·
Registered
427 Posts
do not shoot high velocity ammo in your 39 or you will break the bolt; your serial number indicates prior to mfr redesign... good luck and shoot straight, gewehr
My '74 build 39 the Bolt looks a bit 'pushed out' of what I think would have been a smooth mating between the exposed bolt and the Receiver. I always wondered if some previous owner used some of the new crazy hi-vel ammo on her.

The rifle is still laser accurate, but it would be nice to get the rifle looking perfect again. If the bolt was damaged by the hv ammo, will a new bolt fix this, or will the engaging parts of the action also be bent and damaged? Anyone have idea?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Does it have the 'cartridge guide' in the top of the receiver, right above the chamber? I had one a while back that wasn't feedin right, the guys here asked me about that. It didn't have one if I remember right, replaced that and it started feedin right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea everything is there, some pieces are a little more worn than others but I don't know enough yet to diagnose what is causing my issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.