Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I have a 336BL with a poorly fitted stock. The wood is quite a bit proud of the upper tang. You should be able to see it in the picture. I live near Buffalo, NY and I'd like to know if there is anyone in the area that can fix this for me. I assume that after the wood is sanded down, the entire stock will need to be refinished, and I am just not that handy. In addition, as long as I am having that work done, I would like to have the forearm thinned down - something that is almost even with the barrel band.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, nobody in western NY. Can anyone suggest an alternative? Would it do to just buy replacements? Any suggestions for that? I wouldn't mind trying out a set of synthetic stocks, but from what I've seen the Ramlines are made for the longer forearms. Mine is the one that ends with the barrel band.

·
Registered
124 Posts
review of your 336 BL

I would just do it yourself and save the dime. You can always look for a cabinet maker or some one with the right tools.

Someone that works with wood period. Borrow a buddies palm sander and work slowly. Yes you will have to redue the finish. It is Piece of cake, I have faith in you, just jump in and go slow.

Youtube, research, get some books. When you get done you will have something that you can be proud of.

I am looking at the same gun. Can you give me some pros and cons, how was the rear sight dove tail allignment.
Thanks
Romans

:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
If it's any consolation, my 1989 JM stamped 336 is proud at the tang area too. I plan on refinishing the stock and forearm in the next couple of weeks, so I will fix the issue then.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I'm not really a rookie at working with wood, but I wouldn't mind a pro working on this. I guess a cabinet maker would be an excellent choice; maybe I'll go over and see a guy who is just down the block from me. He is a kitchen cabinet maker. My real concern is stripping the finish from the OEM part of the stock that won't be sanded in preparation for the re-finishing and making sure that the forearm is sanded down uniformly.

As for the gun as it is, the sights seem fine; I have replaced the rear with a Skinner and it is shooting just a bit off. I'll figure out the difference and order a Skinner front. The big loop is great, and I love the length. It is a tad heavy, but I think that has to do with the thickness of the forearm. I wasn't sure I'd like the recoil pad, but it seems to make just the right difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts