Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I got around to making a sample batch of Felix lube. It did not turn out as I expected. Ifollowed the receipe as directed and when it was time to add the bees wax there was a small amount of black gunk on the bottom of the pan. I did use a wooden (cane) spoon and it did seem to be burnt. I went 35 minutes on the continual stirring bit. I am not sure if this is the soap or canauba wax, but it was dissipated when the bees wax was added. Only after cooling, a lot of black spots were on the base of the cooled wax.
Can anyone help? I was originally going to go with the lithie bee receipe but I had heard so much about the Felix mix and went with that.
What am I doing wrong?
Graeme. aka Moffy

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Help somebody Moofy has the dreaded black spot :)

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
LOL. He answered his own question. LOL

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi VTDW,
Do you mean the gunk was from the burn't spoon or was the soap and wax? As it dissipated with the Bees wax.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Well something burned but not bad at all. I'd use it and never look back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
if you did not use a double boiler you will burn it every time and if you add the lanolon to soon you will burn it I make mine on a hot plate D Crockett

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I added the lanolin about 5 minutes after I took the pot off the the stove. The gunk was there when before I added the wax.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I just made my first FWFL last night. Tuned out just as advertised. I didn't have a hot plate, so I pressed my "lube heater" into service. Worked great! I see no reason at all for a double boiler... just turn the iron down to "cool" before you add the beeswax. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I film lube (Rooster Jacket or JPW/LLA) all the high volume pistol stuff I shoot. The lube sizer only gets pulled out for full power magnum pistol and rifle rounds. I figure there are about 4 commercial sticks in that block, so that should take me out 2 years or perhaps just a touch longer. I've been casting well over 30 years, but this is my first foray into lube making.

Deeper... deeper into the abyss! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I film lube (Rooster Jacket or JPW/LLA) all the high volume pistol stuff I shoot. The lube sizer only gets pulled out for full power magnum pistol and rifle rounds. I figure there are about 4 commercial sticks in that block, so that should take me out 2 years or perhaps just a touch longer. I've been casting well over 30 years, but this is my first foray into lube making.

Deeper... deeper into the abyss! :)
Well, you picked a good one. No guesswork or experimentation, just make it, do Felix's "window sill test" to see if the castor oil is going to sweat out, remelt gently on a candle warmer or similar, pour it in the sizer, and never worry about it.

Gear

Reactions: imashooter2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts