Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Marlin 1895g ported at a LGS. It is mint! It has a leupold scout scope Quick release rings and xs ghost ring sights. not sure if ever fired. The serial is 0000 73xx . Can you help me with the year its made and a possiable price. I can't see if barrel is marked MR or REM as the scope mount is covering it. This gun is out of a private collection. The gun shop has not priced it yet, they will call me in a couple of days with their asking price.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I believe that is a 2000 year of production, and it will have a JM stamp. No Remlins that far back. That is a sweet rifle my friend. The ported ones are hard to come by and I personally prefer them as the do decrease the muzzle jump quite a bit. Great find! It's worth top dollar in mint condition. Someone else with more knowledge on current prices will chim in for sure.
JB

·
Registered
209 Posts
Assuming it is factory ported then yes a JM product from around 2000 time period. I'd say $400 to $550 for the gun, the XS rail and sights are around $130 new and the quick release rings another $40ish or so.
All that said it's worth what you'll pay for it, as you know.

Good luck and hope it works out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have one of those from around 2001, or so, and I would not sell it for that. To hard to come by. If the LGS prices it there, or lower I would grab it. I wont sell any of my Marlin levers.

barracudadave67

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
A SN starting with 00 is a year 2000 make. The 1895G's were available in a ported option from 1998 (1st year) through 2002. With the scout scope setup I would pay upwards of $600 if NIB or 95% or better condition. They would not be asking an unreasonable price if slightly more than that. If you can pick it up for $500 - you stole it.

Other than the scout scope setup it might look something like one of mine. Good luck, you won't regret it!

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I think that it is hard to find a guide gun for under 600 bucks. However, I don't think the other items add that much value to it. Maybe another 75 bucks???

Just my opinion,
-Bob

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
You will definitely be hard pressed to find a ported G in 45-70 for under $600 I see them going for $700+ depending on condition. I paid $600 for mine and I think I stole it at that price!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information everyone. This gun is sharp. I'll keep you posted as I get more info. I have never been around the scout scope set up before so I not sure if its for me, but I have been wanting a guide gun for awhile. How much would the Leupold scope run by its self? I found the xs sights at midway for 80.00 or so.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Spend to much time thinking about it and it'll be gone. $600 all day and if you've been wanting one for some time id say $650. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The scout scope is at least another $150-200 to add to the rifle. The XS Lever Rail that comes back over the receiver and has the ghost ring at the hammer is about $130. I would say with the options on it $750 is still doable. Just remember there are no more ported guide guns being made. I think it would be foolish to pass on something you want if it is even within a 100 of what you want to pay.

I love the Lever Rail and scout scope set up on mine.

Ken
Ken

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Is it just me, the thread title made me think the OP was in Vegas. I was feeling sorry for him. I don't have a personal experience with that, there, or well anywhere. Steve

Reactions: CITYSLICKER1

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spend to much time thinking about it and it'll be gone. $600 all day and if you've been wanting one for some time id say $650. You will not regret it.
I know what you mean... I have to wait for the shop to price it and let me know. Still waiting by the way.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I routinely check gun prices. I'll take a wild guess and say that almost everyone else checks prices too. I see prices have been going up, except for the very common guns.

If you have been looking for one of those guns and the dealer is not asking a senseless price, don't pass it up if you have the cash. Pounce! If not, someone else will walk in the store and it will be gone.

Mike T.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a 1953 336A 32 special I was saling and a MO member (Redmist) contacted me and ask if I was interested in a trade for a 2001 1895G ported. I didn't no much about the 45-70 but I love my lever guns. So I jumped on it. Couldn't be happier. After 6 shoots a fifty yards I was ready for a 100 yards. The first shoot took out the bulls eye and the second shoot was touching the center. Figured any more and I'd just be showing off :) I'm happy.

Reactions: GaCop and KEN CO

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just looked up prices.... 299.oo on leupold scout scopeFX-II 2.5x28, xs lever scout scope mount 45.00,xs ghost ring sight 81.00 and about 50.00 or so on quick release rings... total 475.00 with no tax and delivery

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Do not I repeat do not let this one get away

·
Registered
292 Posts
Another mystery rifle

I'm new to the forum but would like to post this question about a serial number. Hope I am doing so in the right place, but if not, please re-direct me. I just purchased a new condition 1895 in 45-70, straight stock, no checkering, 22" bbl., no cross bolt safety. It has the JM mark and micro-groove rifling. The serial number is, and I can post the photo - 42878xxx. Oldguns.net reported that the serial number is too high for their database. The standard formula for determining age, (100 minus the first two numbers) would make it a 1958, but I believe that is too old for the formula, and the condition makes it unlikely. I purchased it to use Garrett's 420 gr. +P ammo for moose and grizz and need to know all that I can about it. I would appreciate any help. Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 22.34.17.png

1 - 20 of 36 Posts