Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my new XL7 30-06 combo with the low cost scope is finally due in tomorrow. Since I have placed that order I decided to find a scope in the $200-$300 range rather than use the combo scope this year. After going back in forth from Vortex Diamondback, Redfield Revolution, Nikon Buckmaster, VX-2, and Fullfield ll I think I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to go with the Fullfield ll. I hope I'm making the right choice there but am almost certain I really cant go wrong with that choice after finding a new one online for $249.

I've only owned shotguns, 22's, & air rifles up to this point so I don't know anything about good bases and rings for a 30-06. My only concern about this scope was the 3.1" eye relief when on high power. So I want to get this mounted as low as possible to allow for a good cheek weld but still have enough room to load underneath the scope since this gun doesn't have a removable mag. What would be a good quality base and rings for this setup?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Why not use the base and rings that come with the combo?

I used the factory base on mine.

If you want to upgrad the rings, you need the scope high enough to clear the bolt handle as you work the action. Some scopes have larger zoom rings than others which will affect the scope rings to use.

The best thing I can recommend is grab a set of mediums, and highs, try them both and see which fits best with the bolt.

I use Weaver Grand Slam rings on my gun, not super expensive and work just fine for me. Available at Walmart and all the other sporting goods stores around me.
Best Scope Rings of 2013: Weaver Grand Slam | Field & Stream

link to Weaver website, has all part numbers for heights/finishes
Weaver - Scope Mounting Rings - Grand Slam Top Mount

Either way you'll have plenty of room to load.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read on here some people had problems with the stock bases. I want to say the screws were breaking or stripping out easily without looking back and finding the thread. So I figured I would just try and get it all right the first time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used the factory base and Leupold PRW on a .223 X7 with a Vortex Diamondback. That is a pretty nice rig. Those Leupold PRW rings are great rings. I have used Burris Signature Zee rings, which are great too but not good for reuse from what I have been told. Use Loctite and don't over tighten the base screws. They need to be snug, but you don't need to be a gorilla with a cheater bar.

Eye relief is my main complaint with my Vortex, which is also 3.1" at max zoom. I would not put that scope on a higher recoil rifle. It is nice glass, but I much prefer the eye relief of the Redfield Revolution/Leupold. The Vortex just seems really touchy looking thru the glass compared to a Leupy.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Revolution.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want a scope that is every bit worthy of $1500.00 but only cost $299.00, the the SWFA SS 10x42 MQ MRAD. You can find 30mm rings on Amazon for around $15.00 to $18.00 from UTG. Don't forget to get a Weaver 20 MOA Rail and Burris Shims, you'll need them. I have looked through those other scopes before and after I got my SWFA, they simply don't compare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.