Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just given a 39a by my father in law and am trying to track down some history. The serial number is in the following format: C##c#. First number is under 15 the second is under 5. I have learned the C should mean 1945 and c 46... but both? Was this a side effect of coming out of retooling? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... Not seeing your serial number I can only guess... Only the first digit is considered in this case so it would be a 1945... The second c you see could be a mis-struck number...

Also to consider is that 39A's have been made since 1938 and it could be one made from 1938 through 1940... Is the serial number on the bottom of the receiver in front right under the ammo tube?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scorpiusb Great feedback! I took it to the smith yesterday and it came back in great shape. (Lots is old oil removed). The third character appears to be a weakly struck 9 under outdoor light! There also are the last 2 digits struck on the inside. Also... the c may be a lowercase c putting this at 1946. I will add some more pics shortly for the forum’s sake!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Welcome to MO from SW Ohio.

·
Registered
28,785 Posts
Congrats! I also have a 1946 Marlin 39A with that small c! Mine is a shooter also!

Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

1 - 9 of 9 Posts