Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys my dad wants a scope for his 30-30 and 35REM 336s.... He will onyl slap the scope on when hunting our one property that is very open. Being that we are open sight guys, we arent sure of the best route to take here

He wants something that can be attached and removed fairly easily, similar to Rugers mounting system....

any thoughts????

·
Registered
569 Posts
XS rail system, you'd be able to use quick release mounts and still have iron sights. If I ever use a scope I prefer fixed power 4X 33mm at the most.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Also williams has a rail with a peep sight as well. Its called ace in the hole

Reactions: graymustang

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
I like the shotgun scopes, they can be used in conditions as you describe.

Big plus is they can be used with both eyes open for quicker acquisition on moving game.

Another is they can be mounted far enough forward to eliminate the hammer spur.

Leupold makes a weaver style rail mount that is long enough to mount it farther forward.

Leupold shotgun scope is high quality and a real decent price.

Here is my 336 with a Simmons Shotgun 1.5X on it mounted forward.

Then you might consider a good peep sight in ghost ring

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I mounted a set of Iron Sighter see thru heavy duty rings on my 35 rem with a 2-7 x 33 Bushnell Elite . I ended up liking the set up quite well and can still use the irons easily . I have run this set up for about the last 5 years without issue . Normally I do not like see thrus but I find this set up effective .

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Leupold QRW rings on a 20 mm scope.
These work well, but they sit a bit higher than I like, and the irons are not so easy to use with the stock open and front. I mounted Warne steel bases, which are very low, and use Burris Zee rings. The scope will mount/dismount several times without changing POI. I swapped the OEM rear for a Lyman flip up rear open, but there are peep sights that mount on a Warne or Weaver base that might have a accuracy edge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.