Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been offered a 336 cs in 35 Rem made in 86 I think,guy says about 95%,
what do you think it's worth he wants $400 OTD...
Oh and what does cs mean?

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts

His 95% may be someone else's 98.5%.......Or someones else's 85%............Hard for me to say without seeing the rifle.

$400.00 OTD (it this at a gun store?) is a pretty good price in my mind..............That's a North Haven Marlin in 35 Rem caliber...........neither of which are easy to find now, and both command a premium over 30-30's and NY rifles on the Marlin market today.............

Others may think differently, but YOU did ask............

Tom

·
Registered
428 Posts
I believe right in that time, they added the crossbolt safety, hence the CS. Crossbolt safety, or carbine safety. Something to that effect .

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep maybe, he did say it had the cbs...

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
Yep maybe, he did say it had the cbs...
If its an '89 rifle, it has the CBS...................if its a 336 CS, it has the CBS..............

Tom

Reactions: 1022

·
Registered
786 Posts
Here's what I look for in order of importance:

1) check the bore. If the lands and grooves look new, go to step 2
2) check for functionality. Does cycling the action feel tight and smooth (not sloppy and loose), go to step 3
3) check the crown. No dings, or scratches, go to step 4
4) for me the rifle is now 'buy-able' however the price will depend on cosmetics and how much work I would be willing to put into it. Stock refinishing is easy and I don't mind polishing/bluing metal parts so getting a decent price on a functionally fine firearm will eventually turn out a really nice firearm when complete.
Any issue in 1, 2, and 3 generally cause me to walk away. If this rifle passes the first 3 and is also cosmetically fine, $400 is a pretty good deal. Stock refinishing; subtract $100 and do it yourself. Re-bluing required; subtract another $100 if you are doing it yourself. Pitting from rust; don't bother. PITA!

My two cent worth! cheers and good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got 3 or 4 30-30s just have never had a 35...

·
Registered
692 Posts
The CBS was introduced in 1984...... 30 years ago.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Always hard to say without seeing it, but I'd say that is in the ball-park and worth grabbing. That said, I'd never sell mine for that... can't see letting it go ever actually, LOL! My .35 rem is probably my favorite lever to use, goes along with me every year, and don't think you would be disappointed either... :biggrin:
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
in our area... about $ 50.00 to much... unless its EXTRA clean or comes w/ extras.

keep a look-out on GON or ODT... they show up often.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
based on the description, I would say it is a good price

·
Registered
222 Posts
Gun Broker has several 336 35 rem for sale right now. There are many starting at $250 with little or no bids on them. You would have to see what the condition of them are in comparison to the one you are looking at.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
By the time you figure out what everybody thinks, it will be gone. You didn`t say if you were interested in it ...just offered it. Come to think about ,if you have to ask, move on. :)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Like Tomray said, 95% is subjective. If it is nice and clean, without rust or pitting not more than a few bumps and marks on it, a 35 will bring that or more in our local market.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth and say if it passes lewk419's inspection and it's speaking to you, go for it! I paid that for mine (a '91 model) about a year ago with a cheap-o scope and wouldn't take that for it now. Thankfully I reload so shooting it is not a problem. I'm always looking for 35 Rem ammo when I shop just to see if it's there, and most of the time it isn't. But don't let that stop you, it won't last long.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have no problem with the CBS......
I've owned um both ways, with and without CBS. If a person does not like a CBS just ignore it, put a O ring around it, just leave it alone, it ain't ugly. I can think of no logical reason to not buy a gun because of it. I'll say this... I feel more comfortable unloading a 336 with the CBS on. I was always concerned jacking live rounds ahead of a cocked hammer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts