Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at a 336c in .35 remington in a local pawn shop. When I opened the bolt, I noticed that where the top of the barrel meets the reciever there is a piece of "chewed-up" metal. At first I thought it was some kind of build-up, but I tried scrapeing it out with my thumb nail and its was definitely steel. It looks like there is a lip on the top edge of the barrel where it fits into reciever that has been damaged. the bolt still closes and locks, but i noticed that the bolt is forced downward slightly when it reaches that point. Anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
30 Cal; I have seen it before, and have fixed a few of them. If it were me and the rest of the rifle is worth buying (check barrel alignment, etc), I would bring up the flaw and use that as a bargaining chip to get the price down. Give your local gunsmith a call and see what he would charge to do the work, or, if you do the work yourself an little filing and polishing should solve the problem. If you dont want to go through all that, pass it up, and find one in perfect condition.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for they reply, I was hoping that it wouldnt be a serious issue. I will use it in my favor when I make an offer. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts