Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, I know it is a travesty, but I have three new rifles in my safe that I have not fired. One is a 1895SBL I bought new in November, 2009. Serial #9120xxxx with "JM" proof mark and built in North Haven. Was this rifle built before all of the misalignment problems started?

Health problems and economy are pushing me to possibly sell some of my collection and I do not want to sell a rifle that is possibly defective.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
my 336bl was a 91 serial numbered jm marked gun and it had a misaligned barrel. Just look down the barrel and see if the sights line up. Not all of them had it.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Jim Mc said:
Ok everyone, I know it is a travesty, but I have three new rifles in my safe that I have not fired. One is a 1895SBL I bought new in November, 2009. Serial #9120xxxx with "JM" proof mark and built in North Haven. Was this rifle built before all of the misalignment problems started?

Health problems and economy are pushing me to possibly sell some of my collection and I do not want to sell a rifle that is possibly defective.
You have a real Marlin. If it were Remington the serial# would have an MR prefix and a REP proof stamped on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you have an issue it is more likely to be a stock fit issue which is easy to check. See if the stock aligns properly with the tang.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
A couple of days ago I was about to purchase a similar Marlin SBL 45/70, which must have been close to your gun in production. It also had the stamp “JM” and the serial number also read: 912xxxxx.

The gun I was considering turned out to have a misaligned barrel. The front sight and the forward part of the rail were twisted slightly to the left. It was clear to observe when holding the flat side of the receiver against a vertical door frame and looking down over the barrel.

Due to the misalignment I did not buy the gun at the time. However, I have since talked to a skilled gunsmith and he could inform me that he had dealt with that exact problem on a Marlin rifle before. While mounting the barrel at the plant it had been turned slightly passed the index. He expected it to be quite an easy fix – a couple of working hours. This has made me reconsider purchasing the rifle – which in all other respects appeared in mint condition.

With regards to your SBL if the barrel is aligned properly and otherwise appears fine you should be good to go. Otherwise you might consider having the rifle repaired before you sell it – or sell it with the defect (of course informing the buyer).

Oscar123

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. The stock fit is actually pretty good and any misalignment is not noticable to the eye. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. I'll bore-sight to be sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts