Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbe here in search of help. I have an original 1881 Marlin in .40-60-260 that has a feed issue that has me baffled. I have checked the usual stuff, like overall cartridge length and proper operation of the rifle, and all that is okay, but here's the rub: the rifle cycles out a single cartridge from the magazine tube fine, but when I load 2 or more cartridges in the magazine tube and cycle the action, the extracted shell rim interferes with, and jams, with the next loaded cartridge rim in the elevator, preventing both the extraction of the fired cartridge and the loading of the new unfired cartridge. It APPEARS to be a timing issue with the extractor?, but the fact that using a single cartridge works, and using 2 or more doesn't has me (and my local gunsmith) baffled. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will the gentleman who posted the exploded view of the large frame 1881 please re-post the picture? Somehow, I have managed to lose the post before I could print it off...dang confusers! And I may have answered my own question regarding the extraction jam: upon further inspection of the mechanism with a big magnifying glass this afternoon, I see where the face of the ejector has slight grind marks on the lower portion of the ejector (done by the PO??), so I am now looking for a replacement ejector as well as the loading slot slide...anyone have any ideas as to who might have these parts? Thanks to all.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I figured some one with more experience would opine I have never worked on an 81, but nearly EVERY repeating weapon has to have some type of shell stop or cut off, to prevent double feeding. I dont think it has squat to do with your ejector or extactor. It simply sounds like a double feed situation that takes place when a shell stop fails, whether Rem 1100 or 39Amarlin.

Looking at the view in Brophys on the 81, I believe its the tit on the bottom of the of carrier that prevents the next shell from coming in. It works single shot, because the second round has not bounced in to interfere with the ejection.

Other Marlins, the 93 and 94s and probably most of them, at least use the same principle.

I may be wrong on this, as said, zero experience on an 1881 but the problem I suspect lies somewhere there with the carrier shell stop function.

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
Maybe this thread will help, there are pictures of him cycling the action, around post 41, and I put up some catalog pages on post 52, that are parts, and couple pages showing the action, as you work it.
The action of the 32-40 is close to the large frame, the only difference is the carrier. In stead of the carrier spring separating, the whole carrier separates.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...d-calibers/86443-my-first-marlin-32-40-a.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May have solved my own problem....inspection with a BIG magnifying glass today reveals that the face of the ejector has been ground off some, to the point that the ejector face is not perfectly parallel with the bolt face by a few thousandths. The bevel in the ejector face is cut toward the bottom of the ejector, which I believe allows the ejected shell to rock downward a bit and cause a rim jam. Now anybody know where I can get an untouched ejector for an 1881??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please don't be insulted by the following suggestion: RGR above has a very good point regarding the shell stop function. And I believe that most shell stops lie in a slot with a spring and are hinged on a pin so they can rock up or down, to pass or obstruct passage of the next cartridge. If the spring is busted, or if there is an accumulation of crud beneath either end of the shell stop, it can malfunction. Both my 1887 Winchester and my Ithaca 37 have shell stop problems right now, so far I've been too lazy to strip the guns and give 'em a good cleaning, but I'm pretty sure that'll fix the problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts