Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was only a matter of time. After taking down my 39D for the first time to perform a thorough cleaning some parts fell out unexpectedly. I removed one screw from the top of the receiver and one from the bottom and removed the large take down screw. In retrospect, that was probably a bad idea. Now I am left with "spare parts". I imagine the two thingamabobs are springs and were attached to the receiver but I cannot find an exploded view ( I hate saying that when talking about guns) diagram to figure out which goes where and how they should be oriented. Furthermore, I only removed two screws, which leaves me with one which I cannot account for it's origin.

I looked around for a how to video on YT and searched for a diagram but struck out. I'm all ears, or eyes as it were, to any suggestions on how to undo this blunder.

UPDATE

I found an exploded view diagram and have identified the two springs and where they go. They are safely back home. The only remaining item is the mystery screw (the one on the left) which I did not remove, at least I don't recall removing it. Still need help identifying that and where it goes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
Look at these the second one may be your best held it shows the parts for a 39A but that should work for your rifle as well.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at these the second one may be your best held it shows the parts for a 39A but that should work for your rifle as well.
Thank you for the links. The exploded view I found and the images in the links you provided are pretty much the same but the variations have only made me more confused. I put it all back together without the mystery screw and racked three rounds to do a quick function check. It seems to operate normally but I will not fire the rifle until I resolve the issue of the mystery screw.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still boned. I found a couple more resources but they are more for pros who already know what goes where. <sigh> Why do I always have to learn things the hard way.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here is a list of the screws I see on my 73 39M.

Top of Receiver
2 scope mount filler screws
1 Cartridge Guide screw (one you took out)

Left side of receiver
2 screws to mount ejector
2 filler screws for peep sight mount
1 screw to hold the mag cartridge stop
1 screw that is actually on the right half of receiver that the
Cartridge lifter pivots on

Right side of receiver
Takedown screw
Inside of receiver
1 to hold lever
1 Hammer pivot screw

Other than these there is the screw that holds the stock on
There are 2 on the fore arm cap you would not have on a 39D
There are 2 screws on the front sight ramp

Hope this helps

Forgot the 2 butt plate screws

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I got it. After StubbFarmer posted the parts list I cracked open the receiver again and did a mental check list. I noticed before that the hole on the carrier, indicated with the arrow, was threaded but on closer inspection I saw that there was enough space under whatever that part is that holds the carrier in place to accommodate the head of a screw. So I screwed it in, and it fits!!! Yay!!!

I think it's good to go now but if anyone sees this is wrong please chime in.

Attachments

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
832 Posts
I hate to have to admit but I missed that one. It holds the spring on the Cartridge lifter. My only excuse is that it is kind of hard to see unless you have good light. Glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to have to admit but I missed that one. It holds the spring on the Cartridge lifter. My only excuse is that it is kind of hard to see unless you have good light. Glad you figured it out.
Ironically, it was that exclusion that proved to be the solution. I was able to match up everything one for one using your list, but that one threaded hole was unaccounted for, as was the screw, so I attributed it to something that was perhaps exclusive to the 39D model. I looked at five different diagrams for various 39's, each one having some minor differences.

Well, at least now I know this receiver inside and out, literally. I guess that's a good thing.

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
Ironically, it was that exclusion that proved to be the solution. I was able to match up everything one for one using your list, but that one threaded hole was unaccounted for, as was the screw, so I attributed it to something that was perhaps exclusive to the 39D model. I looked at five different diagrams for various 39's, each one having some minor differences.

Well, at least now I know this receiver inside and out, literally. I guess that's a good thing.
Well if nothing else you know why this is the best forum in the land. Hang around for a while and you will be owning many Marlins and making your own ammo.

Great job Stubb!

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
So now you know your Marlin a lot better than you did before.

Your Marlin feels special. ;)

Glad you got it resolved and of course cleaned well.

Just pay if forward if you get the chance.

Take care and have fun. Swany

·
Registered
425 Posts
Glad you found where it went. Shot my 39D today. Like it better every time I shoot it. I've had a 39A for 40 some years but the D is the one that gets shot the most.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now all I have o do is resist the urge to polish the contact surfaces in the action to a slick glassy finish with jewelers rouge. I have a hard time leaving well enough alone.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thank you Golphin. I was in need of a good exploded view of my different rifles. Wooo Hooo.

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
Thank you Golphin. I was in need of a good exploded view of my different rifles. Wooo Hooo.
Glad you can use them Deadwood but I need to say I saved them from post of other Marlin members. I bookmark them so I can find them when needed. That is the kind of stuff that makes this a great forum and reference for Marlin and other guns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts