Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've picked up a set of XS Ghost Rings & I'm having trouble removing the front sight.

I don't want to damage the screws otherwise it's off to the Gunsmith, but I was wondering if I am able to apply some heat (say with a heat gun) and some WD40 to coax them out without too great a change of damaging the barrel?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
It would be hard to apply enough heat to do any real good.
Here's what works for me on stubborn screws:

I have modified a cheap drill press vise by drilling a hole in one jaw to exactly fit the hex-end screwdriver bits. The bit turns in the hole with enough of the hex end exposed so a small wrench can be used to turn the bit. I fit the bit to the screw head by grinding for a good tight fit. I set the bit into the screw slot with a small hammer. I want the bit to actually fit tight enough to stay in the slot by itself. Tapping the bit in also jars the screw a bit which does help to release the locktite or rust that is holding the screw tight. Then with blocks, shims, or both, I clamp the barrel (or receiverl or other part with the stuck screw) in the vice with the bit in the screw head and the back of the bit it the hole in the jaw. It's somewhat hard to explain, but the idea is that the vise provides the pressure to keep the bit in the screw slot where it can't back out of the slot and ruin it. Then I use the small wrench to very slightly turn the bit. Not enough pressure to snap the bit or the screw head, but enough to tell me it its starting to loosen up. If the screw moves, te vise needs to be backed off a little as the screw is loosened. If it is still stuck, penetrating oil and wait a day. I know this sounds complex, but I've removed a whole lot of rusted and even some damaged screws this way. Saves a ton of time vs. drilling out the screw. Any clamping system that would hold the bit square to the screw would work, but the vice provides lots of rigidity, and I can tap on the jaw occasionally to help things loosen up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
HOG1970 said:
Hi all,

I've picked up a set of XS Ghost Rings & I'm having trouble removing the front sight.

I don't want to damage the screws otherwise it's off to the Gunsmith, but I was wondering if I am able to apply some heat (say with a heat gun) and some WD40 to coax them out without too great a change of damaging the barrel?

Thanks
My guess it is because you are not using the proper gunsmith screwdriver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All is well. the blessed WD40 did the trick & now the XS is fitted :)

Now just awaiting for the scout scope to turn up ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts