Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a 45/70 cowboy for a while and my shop has two in the rack and here is the delema; one is new w box $650 and 2004 manufacture, fit and finish is ok and the action is a little rough.the other looks to be very lightly used, like new fit and finish a little better and the action feels much better , some one put swivel stud in the bullseye but the gun feels better $585. This second gun is a 2009 manufacture and I am seeing that Tomray has stated that this is the year that the Toyota assembly killed the quality. Should I go with save a few bucks or not? The used guns fit and finish seem better.

Thank you for any help, I make the deal today.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I think the bullseye thing would be a deal breaker for me. Who knows what else they tinkered with incorrectly. The rougher 2004 model probably just needs to be broken in and there's great instructions on here to smooth it out a little.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
My newest NIB Marlin purchase was/is a 20" Cowboy from 2004 and it is absolutely fine. The later North Haven guns seemed to be slipping in quality generally, but not in every rifle. They are all like women (a compliment, not a snide remark) in that they get better with a little age. My absolutely slickest Marlin is a 336ADL from 1948. IMO, the bullseye is no big deal. It can be replaced for a few dollars. I am not one to hold the bullseye as sacred. As a matter of aging and use, they tend to fall out anyway. I need four replacements as I write. Look them over for wood/metal fit, finish, and barrel and sight alignment, then pay your money and make your choice. good luck, Jack

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replys I will have to do a little more playing with them. I too do not hold the bullseye as sacred and the gun has swivel studs that are nice. I want this gun to see some. Just a little worried about the 2009 build, any way to tell if it was before June manufacture by the serial #?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Tell em you'll take both for $900 and see what they say.

Most 45-70s that are for sale used are by a previous owner with a sore shoulder, or maybe a bad flinch. ;D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at so many guns yesterday that I mixed up the serial for each gun. The used better gun was the 95 start which makes it a 2005 model so I bought it for $600 out the door. I liked everything about this gun better I just feared the 2009 I thought it to be. Sometimes it is good to be wrong. I also picked up a 336 Texan with the saddle ring for $280 otd. I will try to load picks of both today.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Way to go. Likely a better choice and the bullseye can easily be replaced. Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts