Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, please! My 336c is shooting 12" high.

I went to the range again today with my Marlin 336c (2008) my new Skinner (standard) rear peep sight. I again had to place two targets, one on top of the other, to see the the print on the paper. I am patterning 12" high at 50 yards with Federal, Remington, and Winchester 170 grains. I took 3 shots (9 shots total this round - allowing barrel to cool between shots) with all and though my groupings may be tighter with Federal, it is still too high for my liking. I did not replace the front sight yet so as it stands now I still have the Marlin factory front sights on. I want to get a new Skinner front sight, but after doing the "Front Sight Calculations", I do not feel confident in my calculations to order the correct size. I would like the sights to be "spot on" at 100 yards, but did not even attempt to shoot at a 100 yard target since my 50 yard shots are so high. I have been shooting for quite some time and already have a Skinner peep for my 1894 that works like a charm. Can you please help me and provide me with the proper front sight height for 100 yards or provide me guidance in how to get my peep sight "on target"? I do not believe it is something that I am doing since I am very familiar with all kinds of sights and have used very rests to try to correct the "problem" and not to mention that I have very consistent grouping every time I fire the 336c. Thank you for any help you are able to provide.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Re: Help, please! My 336c is shooting 12" high.

High Owen,

(pun intended)

Sounds fairly normal when adding a taller aperture sight to the receiver and using a factory front sight. However, now we have some numbers to work with.

I'm going to do this the "Easy" way and see if that squares with your calculations at all.

You are hitting 12" high at 50 yards. So we call that (know its not exact) 24" high at 100... On a standard 20" barrel Marlin, using an aperture sight, .006" = 1" MOA or approx. 1" at 100yards. so... When I do the math I say....

6 x 24 = 144 telling me you need a sight approx. .150" taller than your stock height which is most likely about .300" so .300" + .150" equals .450"

Notice I say "Approx." and "most likely", and "probably"....... If anyone can tell .002" difference with aperture sights at 100 yards, then we need to make sure they share the secret with the rest of us! When I get an order for a .613 tall front sight I average that to .610 or .615 and know the difference can be made up in rear sight adjustment.

I'd say order a standard 1/4" ramp mount patridge sight and you should be very close to "on"

Hope that helps!

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

That was the sight height I needed on my 336BL with a skinner sight. I ordered mine at .5" however. I then set the rear sight to where I wanted it to allow for the change in elevation up and down that I felt it would need. I then filed the top of the front sight to get the groups to center on the bulls eye. After the front sight was dialed in I just reblued where I filed. The steel used is a good grade and filing and shaping are real easy. The steel also takes cold blue very well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thank you Andy and ArborBarber. Your help is greatly appreciated. I will order my new Skinner front sight tonight. Again, Skinner Sights customer service us excellent and the help of marlinowners members are priceless. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts

I had the same problem and tried the lo-pro from my 1894 and it hit dead on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts